23rd April 2024
Make a Donation

Gov’t to participate in peace talks despite rejecting an IGAD proposal

Author : | Published: Monday, March 24, 2014

Information Minister Michael Makuei | File photo.

The government negotiation team says it will participate in the Addis Ababa talks with Dr. Riek Machar’s group despite objecting to the inclusion of the 7 former detainees.

The second phase of the talks is scheduled to begin this week.

Last week, the government sent a letter of protest to the IGAD chairman concerning the participation of the 7 former detainees.

IGAD insist the 7 should take part in the negotiations.

However, the Spokesperson of the government team, Michael Makuei, says the government team will attend the talks despite sending IGAD a letter of objection.

“His Excellency the President of the Republic of the Republic of South Sudan had sent the chief negotiator with a letter to the chairman of the IGAD in a protest or an objection to some provisions which were included in the communique concerning South Sudan.”

“It [communique] recognized the role of the detainees and the importance their participation in the talks, and stated that these detainees should participate in the peace process.

“In addition to that, the communique gave the envoys the powers to nominate or accepts the participation of anybody in the talks.

“That was 10 and 11 and the government of South Sudan objected to 10 and 11. It requested that they should be deleted form the communique.

We have not yet received a response from the Chairman of the IGAD, but the government is going there to attend the process.”

Makuei said the government will accept the participation of other groups only after negotiating with those that took up arms.

Support Eye Radio, the first independent radio broadcaster of news, information & entertainment in South Sudan.

Make a monthly or a one off contribution.

error: Alert: Content is protected !!