21st May 2026

8,100 Juba households connected with pipe water, says SSUWC

The manager of Juba water station has told Eye Radio his institution is expanding the house-to-house water system asmore than 8,100 households have connected in the city since the project was started in February, 2024.

In February 2024, the government plans to connect 8,100 households in Juba with clean-running water by June this year after securing funding from the African Development Bank to rehabilitate the old water pipelines and taps in parts of the city.

The facility with a capacity of 7,200 cubic meters is expected to be completed in June, according to Yar Paul Kuol, the Managing Director of the South Sudan Urban Water Corporation.

Te water system supplies tap water was to connect households in Juba town, Malakia, Kator, Hai Thoura, Juba Na Bari, and Munuki.

Speaking to Eye Radio on Monday, Engineer Leon Louis described the progress achieved as a significant milestone for Juba residents.

He said that his office is yet striving to extend the network across the city.

Mr Louis called on those who were around the water station network to connect their houses.

“We will strive to extend the network, in this network we need to do replacement of the old network with the new network in which we connected 8100 houses.

“Those who have the old services, we connected them with new water pipelines. I want to give this good news to our citizens that we have reached  8100  houses,” he said.

The public relations officer of South Sudan Urban Water Corporation Santos Simbe has urged Juba residents to register and have their houses connected to the water system.

“Any house with a meter this is the person that we need him or her to come to our office and complete the registration”, he said.

The current water supply in Juba is far below the demand of the city’s growing population.

According to Yar Paul Kuol, Managing Director of the SSUWC, the city needs a 200,000 cubic meter treatment plant to meet the needs of its approximately 2 million residents.

Tonj East health facilities overwhelmed with measles patients

Authorities in Warrap State’s Tong East County have reported a surge in measles cases as over 500 people mainly children have been affected, according to the state-run media.

Last week, health officials there declared measles outbreak in the county after several samples tested at the National Public Laboratory confirmed for the virus disease.

The South Sudan Broadcasting Cooperation reported that overwhelming number of cases has resulted into overcrowding of the Rumabuth Primary Health Care.

No fatalities have been confirmed.

However, health officials there have called on the government and health partners to intervene and rescue the intensifying situation.

Meanwhile, the health authorities have advised the locals to remain vigilant for symptoms such as skin rash, high fever, cough, runny nose and watery eyes and report to the health facilities.

UN rights body to brief UNGA on South Sudan’s postponed elections

The UN Commission on Human Rights in South Sudan is set to brief the UN General Assembly (UNGA) on Wednesday on the government’s recent decision to extend the transition period and the economic challenges the country faces.

In a note to Eye Radio’s newsroom, Commissioner Barney Afako will address the UN General Assembly on Wednesday in live-streamed via the UN Webcast.

Mr Afako is expected to discuss the South Sudan government’s recent decision to extend the transition period, several unimplemented provisions of the Revitalized Peace Agreement, the significant economic and social challenges faced by the people of South Sudan.

He will additionally delve into the ongoing lack of accountability for serious human rights violations in the country.

According to the statement, the Commission aims to share its perspectives on the path forward for transitional justice, national reconciliation, and healing in South Sudan to prevent a resurgence of civil conflict.

On September 13, South Sudan’s transitional government gave itself another two-year legitimacy after the Presidency postponed the long-awaited elections to December 2026 in order to implement pending tasks.

The Office of the President said in a statement that the highest office of the government reached a consensus to postpone the elections, initially scheduled for December 2024 to December 22nd, 2026.

Presidential Adviser on National Security, Hon. Tut Gatluak had told reporters that the extension was an opportunity to implement the critical remaining protocols in R-ARCSS, such as the permanent constitution process, census, and the registration of political parties.

While the Minister of Cabinet Affairs Dr. Martin Elia Lomuro said the extension is in response to the recommendations from both electoral institutions and the security sector.

Nine days later, the parliament unanimously endorsed the extension and amended the constitution  that was rushed through different levels of governments for assent.

Prior to the September 22nd sitting, the memo was quickly passed by the cabinet on a weekend and given a similar greenlight by peace monitoring body R-JMEC amid concerns from diplomatic missions.

Unity govt high-level delegation meets Kenyan President

Kenyan President Williamn Ruto has met with High-Level Standing Committee for South Sudan in Nairobi where he said he is encouraged by the progress the Tumaini Initiative in restoring peace and stability in South Sudan.

Mr Ruto posted on his Facebook page on Monday after meeting a High-Level Standing Committee for South Sudan, led by Cabinet Minister Martin Elia Lomuro.

in his statement, Ruto said: “Kenya remains committed to supporting its successful conclusion for the benefit of the people of South Sudan.

According to Ruto Minister Elia conveyed a message from President Salva Kiir Mayardit on the initiative without providing any details of the message.

The Nairobi-led peace process came to a halt in August after the SPLM-IO pulled out of the talks after the government of which is is part of, and the hold out groups initialed eight protocols.

The protocols, according to the opposition led by Dr Riek Machar, repeated provisions of the 2018 peace deal and introduced new institution replacing or running parallel to the current ones.

According to peace party,  the initiative had taken the role of a funder,  supervisor, coordinator, convener of a donor conference,  funder manager, monitor of the agreement, guarantor and governing authority.

The opposition also said the Tumaini undermined the sovereignty of South Sudan by establishing five institutions with the head and deputies to be appointed by the regional body, IGAD.

These include the Security Supervision Mechanism, Ceasefire Transitional Security Arrangements Monitoring Mechanism, Reconstituted Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Commission, National Transitional Committee, and Strategic Defense and Security Review Board to be co-chaired by the parties to the 2018 agreement.

Meanwhile, the SPLM-IO said: “The proposed National Leadership Council usurped the powers of the Presidency, Council of Ministers, the National Legislature and the National Security Council.”

Western diplomats have over the past months expressed support for the Kenyan-led peace mediation process and called for its resumption , emphasizing on an inclusive in the process.

South Sudan showcases innovations at 24th EAC MSMEs in Juba

South Sudan is hosting a close-to-two weeks East Africa Community trade fair for micro, small and medium business enterprises in Juba.

The regional event which began on 26th of October will run until November 5th.

It has drawn participants from all EAC Member States, including Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya, Rwanda, Federal Republic of Somalia, Uganda, United Republic of Tanzania and the host nation South Sudan.

This year’s trade fair is being held under the theme: Promotional of unique innovation and skills development, aimed at promoting trade, investment, and economic growth within the region.

This is by providing a platform for entrepreneurs, businesses, and stakeholders to connect, collaborate, and explore new market opportunities.

Speaking at the Trade Fair, the Economic Cluster VP. Dr. James Wani Igga underscores the significance of regional economic integration, citing the crucial roles of various stakeholders.

The Vice President recognized MSMEs as crucial contributors to economic development and job creation, with encouragement for their full participation in regional integration.

“I kindly urge the East African Member States to continue supporting initiatives that foster economic stability for trade, investment and cooperation, not only within the region but also with external partners and players.

“Our community has to challenge the private sector, particularly the micro, small, medium enterprises, to take full advantage of regional integration.

“The East African community needs to express optimism about the future and vitality of regional economic integration along the potentials it holds for deeper political unity of the region”, he said.

According to him economic cooperation can strengthen relationships among nations, reduce conflict, and promote mutual understanding.

“My country will continue as one of the vanguards with this cemented collaboration towards a prosperous and integrated region”, he added.

The 24th edition feature a daily symposium aimed at enhancing awareness on and the capacity of micro, small and medium business enterprises.

The symposia will address matters such as elimination of Non-tariff Barriers, Financing of Micro, Small and Medium business enterprises Activities, Enhancing Research and Development of MSMEs production, Exploring opportunities under the African Continental Free Trade Area, and business opportunities in South Sudan.

The fair also showcase cultural diversity performances and exhibitions, celebrating the rich heritage of the EAC Partner States.

Kiir revokes appointment of Chief Administrator, Dr Santino Matiok

President Salva Kiir on Monday revoked the appointment of Chief Administrator, Dr Santino Matiok and replaced him Ambassador Sabit Bullen as new Chief Administrator.

Dr Matiok, NilePet Director General of Finance, Services and Administration was appointed on Friday, replacing Daniel Madit Malek who was relieved that day.

However, in a Republican Decree last evening, Kiir revoked Dr Matiok’s appointment and replaced him Ambassador Sabit Bullen as new Chief Administrator.

No reason is provided for the revocation decision.

Health Ministry declares cholera outbreak in Renk County

The Ministry of Health has declared a cholera outbreak in Renk County, Upper Nile State, following the confirmation of several suspected cases by the National Public Health Laboratory in Juba.

National Minister of Health, Yolanda Awel Deng, announced after receiving an initial report on October 8 from the Wunthou Primary Health Care Center, indicating a surge in cholera cases.

By October 11, 33 suspected cholera cases had been reported, with six cases confirmed positive in Renk County.

The laboratory data reveals that 47% of suspected and confirmed cases are male, while 53% are female, with the most affected age group being individuals aged 15 years and above.

In response, the Ministry of Health has implemented various measures, including activating an Incident Management System (IMS) to response mode and coordinating with a multi-sectoral team to strengthen interventions.

These interventions focus on surveillance, case management, water, sanitation, hygiene (WASH), and infection prevention and control. Additionally, the Ministry is establishing a Cholera Treatment Unit,

The others are collecting more samples for analysis, and developing a rapid cholera response plan to mobilize resources.

The Ministry is collaborating closely with the World Health Organization and other partners to ensure effective response efforts are implemented to protect public health.

Minister Yolanda also emphasized the importance of preventive measures and encouraged the public to drink safe, clean water, practice regular handwashing, and use latrines.

Other recommended measures include thoroughly cooking food, maintaining a clean environment, and following health guidelines issued by authorities.

Minister Yolanda urges the public to remain calm and adhere to the advised precautions.

Kenya introduces visa extension fees for foreign nationals

The government of Kenya has announced new, exorbitant visa extension fees for foreign nationals, including South Sudanese students and their families, who wish to extend their stay in the country.

In response, the South Sudan embassy in Kenya has notified its citizens via a notice posted at the embassy’s premises.

The notice indicates that South Sudanese who wish to extend their stay in Kenya for any reason must pay up to $201 for a six-month stay.

Individuals seeking extensions of their travel documents will pay $51.

Passport holders who wish to extend their stay in Kenya will also be required to pay $51 in fees.

The Kenya Foreign National Service has announced that it will sanction a six-month overstay with six hundred and one United States dollars.

This comes more than three-years after Kenya waived visa fees for eligible South Sudanese.

The Kenyan Ministry of Foreign Affairs had said visa fees would be lifted for South Sudanese who hold valid passports.

Earlier, the Kenyan foreign ministry said this was in adherence to the provisions of the Treaty for the Establishment of the East African Community, and The Common Market Protocol on Free Movement of labor and persons for the citizens of partner States adopted on November 20, 2009.

The decision followed President Salva Kiir’s appealed to the neighboring countries for a visa waiver during the 21st Ordinary Summit of the East African Community Heads of State in Nairobi in February,2021.

Eye Radio’s attempt to record comments from the South Sudan Embassy in Kenya has been unsuccessful.

The South Sudan Embassy in Nairobi is still without an ambassador after President Kiir appointed Chol Ajongo as the Minister of Presidential Affairs in August, 2024.

This new visa restriction fee will affect South Sudanese families and students residing in Kenya.

Support Eye Radio, the first independent radio broadcaster of news, information & entertainment in South Sudan.

Make a monthly or a one off contribution.