The newly reconstituted government delegation to the Tumaini peace initiative is in Nairobi, Kenya to jump start the peace process with the holdout groups. Continue reading “Peace talks set to resume as govt team arrives in Nairobi”
Author: Memoscar Lasuba
Gen. Lul urges calm after SSPDF soldiers clash at ex-spy chief’s residence in Juba
Heavy gunfire erupted on Thursday at the residence of former spy chief Gen. Akol Koor in Juba, following a confrontation between SSPDF soldiers assigned to guard his home. According to the army spokesperson, the situation has since been brought under control.
Continue reading “Gen. Lul urges calm after SSPDF soldiers clash at ex-spy chief’s residence in Juba”
ICC issues arrest warrants for Netanyahu, Gallant and Hamas commander over alleged war crimes
Judges at the International Criminal Court (ICC) have issued arrest warrants for Israel’s prime minister and former defence minister, as well as Hamas’s military commander.
A statement said a pre-trial chamber had rejected Israel’s challenges to the court’s jurisdiction and issued warrants for Benjamin Netanyahu and Yoav Gallant.
A warrant was also issued for Mohammed Deif, although the Israeli military has said he was killed in an air strike in Gaza in July.
The judges said there were “reasonable grounds” the three men bore “criminal responsibility” for alleged war crimes and crimes against humanity during the war between Israel and Hamas. Both Israel and Hamas have rejected the allegations.
It will now be up to the ICC’s 124 member states – which do not include Israel or its ally, the United States – to decide whether or not to enforce the warrants.
In May, the ICC prosecutor Karim Khan sought warrants for Netanyahu, Gallant, Deif and two other Hamas leaders who have since been killed, Ismail Haniyeh and Yahya Sinwar. Although Israel believes Deif has also been killed, the chamber said it was not able to confirm his death.
The prosecutor’s case against them stems from the events of 7 October 2023, when Hamas gunmen attacked southern Israel, killing about 1,200 people and taking 251 others back to Gaza as hostages.
Israel responded to the attack by launching a military campaign to eliminate Hamas, during which at least 44,000 people have been killed in Gaza, according to the territory’s Hamas-run health ministry.
Mr Khan accused the Hamas leaders of crimes against humanity and war crimes including extermination, murder, the taking of hostages, rape and torture.
For the Israeli leaders, the accusations included deliberate attacks on civilians, and the use of starvation as a weapon of war, as well as extermination and murder.
E-bus catches fire on highway to Juba, all passengers are safe
Dozens of travelers escaped unharm after an electric public bus, burst into flame along Juba-Nimule highway this morning
Nandi Esther who is assistant manager of Juba-based Bebeto Bus company told Eye Radio, the incident occurred at the same spot where one of the company’s bus was previously attacked by gunmen in Moli area.
A video circulating on social media, seen by Eye Radio show passengers fleeing from the bus fire scene.
According to Esther, the flame was triggered by an electric shock, dismissing rumors that the bus was heading to Juba from Nimule was attacked.
“People are like the bus was attacked, but I want to say the bus was not attacked. The Bus was coming back to Juba. On its way back, it caught fire coming from the electricity since it is an electrical bus and has electrical components,” she said.
Ms. Esther said all the passengers disembarked from the bus unhurt and some of their belongings in the bus’s boots were removed.
“Everything in the boots was removed and the passengers have not lost a life. However, some personal belongs were stuck in the bus, and it was time to save life and not the bus”, she added.
Ms Esther however said the company will assess the extend of the damages cause as a result of the fire outbreak.
President Kiir fires SSRA boss Africano Mande
President Salva Kiir has fired the Commissioner General of South Sudan Revenue Authority, Africano Mande in a decree read on the state TV, SSBC on Wednesday evening.
Sacked Africano Mande was appointed to the position in October, 2023 after President Kiir removed his former boss Athian Diing Athian.
President Kiir has replaced Mr Mande with long-serving Secretary General of South Sudan’s Chamber of Commerce Simon Akuei.
This comes after Mr. Mande attended a conference of EAC Revenue authority Commissioner Generals in Nairobi, Kenya where he highlighted the challenges South Sudan face in the digital era he describes as night mare to the institution’s endevours to catch up with the region.
Mr Mande urged the need for the members states to support South Sudan in its strive to be at par with the region, and called for inter-faced digital and interoperability to ease regional integration with regard to cross-border trade and customs services.
According to him, it will take a while for South Sudan to adopt some of the protocols as the country grapples with catch up with the member states in e-revenue services while urging for collaboration to overcome the challenges.
Trump gives Elon Musk, Fox News host big jobs in his second term
Donald Trump has made Elon Musk head of a new Department of Government Efficiency in his latest appointment to his emerging new team.
Trump says the billionaire businessman will co-lead the organisation with former Republican primary candidate Vivek Ramaswamy.
It will “provide advice and guidance from outside of government” to “dismantle government bureaucracy” and cut spending – though it is not yet fully clear what form it will take.
Trump has also picked Pete Hegseh, A Fox News host and Army Veterant, to be defense secretary, and John Ratcliffe as his director of national intelligence.
This comes as the Republicans are closing in on a majority in the House, with counting continuing in a dozen races.
Canterbury Archbishop Welby urged to resign over child abuse scandal
A Church of England bishop has called on the Archbishop of Canterbury to resign, calling his position “untenable” after a damning report into a prolific child abuser associated with the Church.
Bishop of Newcastle Helen-Ann Hartley is the most senior member of the Church to call on the Most Reverend Justin Welby to stand down, following the “horrific, horrendous and shocking” report.
Mr Welby is facing mounting pressure to resign after it emerged last week that he did not follow up rigorously enough on reports of John Smyth QC’s “abhorrent” abuse of more than 100 boys and young men.
A review of the Church’s handling of Smyth’s case said the archbishop “could and should” have reported the case to authorities when details were presented to him in 2013.
Mr Welby acknowledged he should have more rigorously followed up the details and said last week he had considered resigning, but decided to stay in his role.
The Makin review into Smyth’s case said he might have been brought to justice for decades of abuse before his death, in 2018, had he been formally reported to the police in 2013.
Smyth is believed to be the most prolific serial abuser to be associated with the Church of England, having subjected as many as 130 victims to traumatic physical, sexual, psychological and spiritual attacks.
Smyth’s abuse took place over almost five decades and across three countries, according to the report. He targeted boys who attended summer camps he ran for young Christians.
Smyth abused 26 to 30 boys and young men in the UK in the 1970s and 1980s, the report found. He then relocated to Africa, where he abused a further 85 to 100 “young male children aged 13 to 17”.
The report says that from July 2013, the Church of England knew “at the highest level” about Smyth’s abuse in the UK and should have “properly and effectively” reported him to the UK police and the relevant authorities in South Africa.
Inaction from the Church represented a “missed opportunity to bring him to justice,” the report says.
Hampshire Police opened an investigation into Smyth after a Channel 4 documentary brought allegations against him to light in 2017.
Shortly after it aired, Mr Welby told Channel 4: “I genuinely had no idea that there was anything as horrific as this going on and the kind of story you showed on the clip.
“If I’d known that, I would have been very active, but I had no suspicions at all.”
But last week’s report said “enough was known to have raised concerns upon being informed in 2013”.
Andy Morse, one of Smyth’s victims, told the Telegraph: “I don’t believe he was telling the truth.
“I’m not sure that he would have had knowledge of the detail, but I think he would have had knowledge of the summary.”
Anglican priest Giles Fraser told the BBC Mr Welby had “lost the confidence of his clergy” and three members of the Church’s parliament – the General Synod – have started a petition calling for the archbishop to resign over his “failures” to report Smyth’s abuse.
Asked whether Mr Welby should stand down, Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer said: “That’s a matter really for the Church rather than for me.”
“It’s very hard to find the words to respond adequately to what the report tells us,” Bishop Hartley told the BBC.
“I think rightly people are asking the question ‘Can we really trust the Church of England to keep us safe?’ And I think the answer at the moment is ‘no’,” she said.
Dr Hartley said it would be hard for the Church to “continue to have a moral voice” when “we cannot get our own house in order with regard to something as critically important”.
“We are in danger of losing complete credibility on that front,” she added.
She said Mr Welby’s resignation would not “solve the safeguarding problem,” but it would “be a very clear indication that a line has been drawn, and that we must move towards independence of safeguarding”.
Smyth was accused of attacking boys at his home in Winchester in the 1970s and 1980s, identifying them at Christian camps he ran and at leading public schools including Winchester College.
Smyth took them to his home where he carried out lashings with a garden cane in his shed.
One of Smyth’s victims, Bishop of Guildford Andrew Watson, previously described the “excruciating and shocking” abuse he experienced.
A report detailing Smyth’s abuse was presented to some Church leaders in 1982, but no report was made to the police.
He was encouraged to leave the country and moved to Zimbabwe and later to South Africa, where his abuse continued in the years leading to his death in 2018.
Smyth was charged with the manslaughter of a 16-year-old boy at one of his summer camps. He was not convicted of the offence.

Smyth died aged 75 while under investigation by Hampshire Police.
In a statement, Mr Welby said he was “deeply sorry that this abuse happened” and “sorry that concealment by many people who were fully aware of the abuse over many years meant that John Smyth was able to abuse overseas and died before he ever faced justice”.
He added: “I had no idea or suspicion of this abuse before 2013.”
The petition calling for Mr Welby’s resignation was created on Saturday by three of the General Synod’s almost 500 members, and is open to anyone to sign online. It had gathered over 5,600 signatures by Monday evening.
“Given his role in allowing abuse to continue, we believe that his continuing as the Archbishop of Canterbury is no longer tenable,” the petition reads.
“We must see change, for the sake of survivors, for the protection of the vulnerable, and for the good of the Church.”
Mr Fraser, vicar of St Anne’s Church at Kew, west London, told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme Mr Welby “really [had] to go”.
Recalling his own experience of abuse at school, Mr Fraser said such an experience was “very traumatic and stays with you”.
“This happened to me when I was seven, eight – I’m 60 in a few weeks’ time,” he said.
“The idea that people continued to be abused after the Church knew what was happening is disgraceful.”
At the weekend, the Church’s lead safeguarding bishop said she welcomed Mr Welby’s apology – and would not say whether he should resign.
“I really appreciate that the Archbishop has wholeheartedly apologised for what he could have and should have done differently in 2013,” the Rt Rev Joanne Grenfell, the Bishop of Stepney, told the BBC.
“I also recognise his commitment over the time of his tenure as Archbishop to really having tried to change safeguarding.”
A spokesperson for Mr Welby said the archbishop hoped the Makin review would support the ongoing work of building a safer Church in the UK and around the world, and reiterated his “horror at the scale of John Smyth’s egregious abuse, as reflected in his public apology”.
SSFA to host 2025 CECAFA General Assembly
The Council of East and Central Africa Football Associations (CECAFA) has announced that its 2025 non-elective General Assembly will be held in Juba, South Sudan, between January and February, the SSFA Press has reported.
According to CECAFA Executive Director Auka John Gecheo, the South Sudan Football Association (SSFA) has agreed to host the Assembly, which will gather all CECAFA members.
The Assembly will focus on reviewing past activities and planning the 2025 CECAFA calendar.
This year, CECAFA organized key tournaments, including the Dar Port Kagame Cup, the CAF Women’s Champions League CECAFA qualifiers, and the Africa Cup of Nations U-20 qualifiers.
Upcoming events include the CAF Schools Football Tournament and the Africa Cup of Nations U-17 qualifiers.
Kiir assents to six legislations including transitional justice bills
President Salva Kiir has assented to six bills including the Commission for Truth, Reconciliation and Healing, and the Compensation and Reparations Authority Acts 2024.
The Commission for Truth, Reconciliation and Healing Act will now pave way for the establishment of a body to address the legacy of conflicts, promote peace, and facilitate national reconciliation and healing.
Meanwhile, the Compensation and Reparation Authority Bill 2023 which is comprised of consists of six chapters and 25 sections aims to establish a body for compensation and reparations, identify those eligible for reparation, and create a fund for this purpose.
The Presidential Press Unit also reported that Kiir inked Key 2024 legislations including the Public Financial Management and Accountability Act 2011 (Amended 2024), Tourism Act 2024, National Bureau of Statistics Act and the Civil Aviation Authority Act 2012 (Amendment Act 2024).
The PFMAA passed by the legislature in June, 2024, added a clause baring the cabinet from acquiring loans before its approval.
It also mandates the National Revenue Authority as the only institution to collect taxes all over the country and distribute the percentages to the states.
The Act stipulates that after any agreement, the lender of a credit facility in question shall not disburse the fund before the approval of the parliament.
The passing of the crucial bill comes after the executive secured a 738 million US dollar loan from the Ethiopian government to construct roads to connect the northern part of the country to the neighboring country.
The May 29, 2024 loan process was not tabled before the August House.
However, after the Ethiopian government preconditioned its approval by both countries’ parliaments, which compelled Juba cabinet to table it before the August house leading to its endorsement in August, 2024
On tax-related matters, the lawmakers said it recommended that the South Sudan Revenue Authority should be the only body to collect taxes for the government.
Meanwhile, the Tourism Act included provisions for the establishment, powers, and functions of a tourism directorate, and outline the appointment and eligibility criteria for the Director-General of Tourism.
It stipulated a range of standards and guidelines essential for the licensing and regulation of tourism-related activities and businesses.
The Act addresses critical areas such as tourism infrastructure, service standards, environmental sustainability, and consumer protection.
Justice Minister Ruben Madol Arol Kachuol reportedly presented the bills to the President on Monday.
Described as crucial milestone for reforms, Justic Madol “expressed gratefulness for the smooth passage of the legislation, which followed extensive consultations with various stakeholders before its due passage by the country’s top two houses.”
Elderly Wonduruba couple, 8-year-old son killed in cold blood
Three family members including an elderly man, middle-age wife and an 8-year old boy were brutally killed by gunmen in the Administrative area of Wonduruba Payam of Juba County over the weekend
Tongo Stephen Michael told Eye Radio on Monday that unidentified armed men dragged elderly couples along with an eight-year-old boy from a house, tied them up and shot them dead on Saturday afternoon.
The incident comes a month after the killing of ten youths in the same area, sparking wider condemnation from rights groups, the UN mission in South Sudan and Central Equatoria State.
“It is almost the same situation that happened last month, some gunmen came and then pulled out these people, tied them and shot them dead; they are Abraham Kadin Wilson, 62 years, Easter Kiden Abraham, 50 and a son Thomas Tongo, 8 and shot them
According to Administrator Tongo, the area called Toli where the incident occurred, is alarmed by the inadequate security and protection of the locals.
“This incident happened in Toli Payam of Lobeli Boma of Wonduruba Administrative Area, now the security situation is calm and under control because we have put some measures.”
He said the latest incident show failure of the authorities to safeguard innocent lives and uphold the rule of law.
Tongo called upon the leadership of South Sudan peoples Defense Forces to conduct a swift and transparent investigation into both recent killings.
Last month, at least 10 young boys were killed, some hacked with machetes, on Wednesday night by armed men who raided Wonduruba Payam in Central Equatoria State.
The suspects including the Saturday incident remain at large.








