Eye radio news & noteworthy, News

Update: Bor attack death toll rises

A Member of Parliament representing Jalle in the National Assembly has confirmed that 30 people have been killed in the Saturday attack. Several women and children are still missing.

Hon. Dengtiel Ayuen Kur says thousands of heads of cattle were also raided by gunmen.

The attackers are said to have stormed three villages and burned down several houses.

On Sunday, Bor community’s Paramount Chief Alier Aluong Madit said more than 10 injured people had been taken to Bor Civil Hospital.

But he said the exact number of casualties had not been established. The majority of the deceased died on the spot. The others died from gunshot wounds at the hospital.

Hon. Dengtiel called for an end to attacks on civilians in the area.

“I want peace,” he told Eye Radio. “And it is always a surprise that when we are making peace, bandits are always able to destroy peace.”

Meanwhile, the Minister of Information in Jonglei State, Akech Dengdit, says during a search on Sunday, more 20 bodies were collected.

Two weeks ago, three people were killed and five children abducted by unknown gunmen in the same area.