19th June 2024
Make a Donation

6 starve to death in Budi

Author : | Published: Tuesday, August 11, 2015

At least six people have died of hunger in Budi County, Eastern Equatoria, according to an official.

Commissioner Sam Felix says it is not clear whether more people have died, but he says the death toll is likely to rise.

They are unable to assess the food crisis because of lack of bad network and poor roads. The worst affected areas include, Nauro, Nangicot, Lauro, and Lorema.

“You know our topography (mountainous); we are not able to carry out survey around the mountain, but there is hunger; people are dying,” Mr Felix told Eye Radio.

Last month, the area authorities raised the hunger issue which they attributed to crop failure. They said markets have run out of food supplies.

Mr Felix said the situation has worsened. He called on relief agencies to quickly intervene because the county administration is not able to handle the situation.

Support Eye Radio, the first independent radio broadcaster of news, information & entertainment in South Sudan.

Make a monthly or a one off contribution.

error: Alert: Content is protected !!