21st May 2026

Yakani welcomes VP Igga’s dialogue call, fears obstruction from profiteers

Civil society activist Edmund Yakani has welcomed Vice President James Wani Igga’s call for dialogue and stability made during the commemoration of the 43rd Anniversary of SPLA Day on Saturday.

Yakani, who is the Executive Director of the Community Empowerment for Progress Organization (CEPO), praised the Vice President for responding positively to calls for peace and national dialogue.

“I would like to take this opportunity with high respect to welcome the call for dialogue and stability made by His Excellency Vice President and Chairperson of the Economic Cluster, Dr. James Wani Igga, during the commemoration of the 43rd anniversary of the SPLA Day,” Yakani said.

He thanked the Vice President for acknowledging that peace and stability are essential for the country’s progress and economic recovery.

“The only option we have in front of us without any excuse or rejection is that we should embrace an inclusive dialogue without precondition for resolving the political differences or misunderstandings that we have witnessed since 2013,” he stated.

Yakani, however, expressed concern that “profiteers of violence” and “spoilers of peace” could undermine genuine dialogue efforts for their personal interests instead of prioritizing national peace and stability.

He stressed that dialogue should involve all competing parties coming together inclusively and without preconditions to find amicable solutions to their differences.

The activist also highlighted the worsening economic pressure facing the country, saying South Sudan cannot recover economically without peace and stability.

Yakani further appealed to political leaders both in government and opposition to heed a message delivered by a seven-year-old child during the celebrations.

“The message conveyed by the child was: ‘Replace bullets with Janjaro. Replace bullets with Janjaro.’ This is a very strong message to political leaders,” he said.

According to Yakani, the child’s message symbolizes forgiveness, reconciliation, and the urgent need for inclusive dialogue to resolve political disputes peacefully.

“My fear as an activist is that the profiteers of violence and spoilers of peace may turn these important calls into nonsense and fail to act on them,” he warned.

Yakani reiterated that sustainable peace and stability can only be achieved through inclusive dialogue involving all parties.

“Bullets will never bring peace and stability. Dialogue will concretely deliver peace, stability, and economic recovery for the best interest of the citizens of South Sudan,” he concluded.

SPLM-IO faction reacts to removal of 47 lawmakers from parliament

A faction of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-In Opposition (SPLM-IO) has condemned the removal of 47 of its members from the Transitional National Legislative Assembly (TNLA), describing the move as a violation of the 2018 revitalized peace agreement.

SPLM-IO has remained divided into rival factions since the house arrest of First Vice President and party leader Dr. Riek Machar last year. One faction is led by Oyet Nathaniel, while another group is aligned to Par Kuol, with both sides claiming interim leadership of the party.

According to parliament spokesperson Oliver Mori Benjamin, the revocation of the lawmakers followed a request by SPLM-IO splinter leader Par Kuol, who is based in Juba.

President Salva Kiir later consented to the request, resulting in the dismissal of the MPs on Tuesday.

In a press statement dated 17 May 2026, the Political Bureau aligned to the SPLM-IO faction under Oyet Nathaniel said the lawmakers were removed after they walked out of a parliamentary sitting on 11 May in protest against a proposed amendment bill to the Revitalized Agreement on the Resolution of the Conflict in South Sudan (R-ARCSS).

The statement said the lawmakers opposed what it described as a “non-inclusive manner” of amending the peace agreement.

“The Political Bureau condemns the unilateral removal of forty-seven (47) members of SPLM (IO) from the Transitional National Legislative Assembly, for this act by the ITGONU/SPLM (IG) is a blatant violation of the removal and replacement procedures of the R-ARCSS,” the statement signed by Eng. Joseph Mawal Dong, designated focul person of the political Bureau  and Chairperson of  Foreign Affairs and International Relations (SPLM-IO), partly reads.

The group further argued that the dismissals interfere with the mandate of parliament under the peace agreement, which requires the TNLA to support legislation that facilitates transitional reforms.

“It has now become obvious that the TNLA no longer supports the Agreement by enacting legislation that can assist the transitional processes and reforms,” the statement added.

The faction also described the removals as retaliatory and unconstitutional.

“The Political Bureau condemns the retaliatory removal of members of the TNLA, as this act is dictatorial, and it works against the separation of powers,” the statement said.

Kiir says he turned down alleged $500M offer ahead of 2011 referendum

President Salva Kiir has said he turned down an alleged offer of more than 500 million US dollars from former Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir ahead of South Sudan’s 2011 independence referendum.

South Sudan officially became independent from Sudan on 9 July 2011 following the referendum held under the 2005 Comprehensive Peace Agreement.

The President said the alleged offer was made during high-level regional consultations involving several leaders aimed at influencing the outcome of the referendum.

“The mistake would have taken place during the referendum time, when President Salva Kiir didn’t want the referendum at the last minute,” Kiir said.

He added that he was aware Southerners would vote for separation.

“He knew Southerners would vote for separation,” he said.

Kiir said he engaged several regional leaders, including Egypt’s former President Hosni Mubarak and Libya’s late leader Muammar Gaddafi, during the period.

“When they asked me, they gave me 505 million dollars. If we accepted, our country would not come out,” he said.

“No one praises themselves, but I will praise myself for that I didn’t accept that money, because if I had accepted it, I would have swallowed the country, and it would not be out,” he added.

The remarks were made during the 43rd anniversary celebration of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA) in Juba.

South Sudan voted overwhelmingly for secession in the 2011 referendum, ending decades of conflict with Sudan.

VP Igga calls for dialogue and stability at SPLA anniversary

Vice President Dr. James Wani Iga has called for dialogue and stability in South Sudan, saying peace remains essential for the country’s progress.

Speaking during the 43rd anniversary of the founding of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA), Wani Iga said South Sudan must prioritize dialogue to overcome continued instability and economic challenges.

“After independence, what next, comrade? Let us all struggle to bring peace,” he said.

“And as it was declared by our president, let us begin right now through dialogue. Dialogue will lead us to peace.”

South Sudan gained independence from Sudan in 2011 but descended into conflict two years later following political disagreements within the ruling SPLM party.

Despite two peace agreements aimed at ending the violence, parts of the country continue to experience insecurity, political tensions and humanitarian challenges.

Wani Iga said peace and stability are necessary for development and economic recovery. “Without peace, without stability, we will not be able to move forward,” he said.

He also linked the country’s economic difficulties to continued instability. “All economic factors lead to instability. So let us all strive to bring stability,” Wani Iga added.

The SPLA anniversary is commemorated annually on May 16 to mark the founding of the former rebel movement in 1983 under the leadership of Dr. John Garang, which later led South Sudan to independence. Continue reading “VP Igga calls for dialogue and stability at SPLA anniversary”

“Replace bullets with Janjaro,” 7-year-old tells leaders on SPLA Day

A seven-year-old girl identified only as Olivier has made an emotional appeal to South Sudan’s leaders to embrace peace and turn weapons of war into tools for food production, urging them to replace bullets with “janjaro,” beans in local Arabic, and rice. Continue reading ““Replace bullets with Janjaro,” 7-year-old tells leaders on SPLA Day”

“He was a patriotic man” – Abyei mourns former Chief Administrator Kuol Alor Kuol

The Abyei Special Administrative Area has described former Chief Administrator Kuol Alor Kuol as a patriotic man following his death on Saturday in Kenya. Continue reading ““He was a patriotic man” – Abyei mourns former Chief Administrator Kuol Alor Kuol”

Bor Commissioner bans social activities, imposes SSP 500,000 fine for violators

The Commissioner of Bor County in Jonglei State has banned all social gatherings, including wrestling, traditional dances and other related activities, until the end of the farming season. Continue reading “Bor Commissioner bans social activities, imposes SSP 500,000 fine for violators”

Yakani urges leaders to use SPLA Day for reconciliation, dialogue

A civil society leader, Edmund Yakani, has called on the country’s leaders to use the SPLA Day commemoration to promote reconciliation, forgiveness, and inclusive dialogue among citizens. Continue reading “Yakani urges leaders to use SPLA Day for reconciliation, dialogue”

Support Eye Radio, the first independent radio broadcaster of news, information & entertainment in South Sudan.

Make a monthly or a one off contribution.