21st May 2026

Ateny: Ministry to protect responsible media practitioners

The Minister of Information, Ateny Wek Ateny, has called on media practitioners to operate within the law, saying journalists who practice responsibly will be protected by the government. Continue reading “Ateny: Ministry to protect responsible media practitioners”

IGAD Climate Centre: Less rain, higher temperatures expected in coming months

A regional climate centre has warned that South Sudan is likely to receive less rainfall and experience higher temperatures between June and September this year. Continue reading “IGAD Climate Centre: Less rain, higher temperatures expected in coming months”

Western Equatoria steps up Ebola prevention measures

The government of Western Equatoria State says it has intensified preventive measures to guard against a possible outbreak of Ebola Virus Disease in the state, following confirmed cases in neighboring Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda.

According to the State Minister of Health, James Abdalla Arona, health authorities have deployed additional medical personnel to key border entry points to screen travelers arriving from the DRC.

“We have deployed more health professionals to various entry points at the border between the Democratic Republic of Congo and South Sudan to screen travelers entering the state from the DRC to prevent the importation of the disease into the country,” Arona said.

He added that an emergency coordination taskforce has been established to oversee response efforts in collaboration with partners.

“The government has formed an emergency coordination taskforce headed by the health minister to coordinate efforts between government and partners to prevent an outbreak of the disease,” he noted.

The minister further explained that a risk communication team has also been set up to raise public awareness on preventive measures.

“We have a risk communication team to disseminate information about Ebola in all counties through FM radio, including Anita FM, and communication in schools and churches,” he said.

Arona urged the public to remain calm, stressing that no Ebola cases have been confirmed in Western Equatoria State so far.

“We urge the public to remain calm. No case of Ebola has been confirmed in the state yet,” he said.

He also outlined the government’s preparedness plan, highlighting surveillance and screening at identified entry points.

“We have formed committees, we have a risk assessment team, and a coordinating body under the leadership of the health minister to coordinate with partners and state leadership,” Arona said.

“We have identified entry points in Ibba, Kangura, and Ezo. These are areas we are prepared to deploy additional health staff to for proper screening of people coming from Congo and those moving between South Sudan and Congo.”

The measures come after the World Health Organization declared an Ebola outbreak in the DRC’s Ituri Province last week, while Uganda also confirmed cases in Bundibugyo in its western region on Monday.

Health authorities in Western Equatoria say surveillance and cross-border screening remain key priorities as regional health agencies work to contain the spread of the disease.

Continue reading “Western Equatoria steps up Ebola prevention measures”

UNMISS decides to keep Akobo base due to security concerns

The head of the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS), said the mission has postponed plans to close its base in Akobo last December despite UN-wide cost-cutting measures.

In early April, UNMISS later announced the closure of the Akobo base, saying the security situation had improved following sustained political engagement and peacekeeping efforts.

However, speaking to the media on Tuesday, Anita Kiki Gbeho said worsening insecurity in Jonglei State and escalating violence in Akobo forced UNMISS to reconsider the decision and temporarily maintain its presence in the area.

“We were scheduled to draw down our base in Akobo last December due to UN-wide cost-saving measures,” Gbeho said.

“However, given the security situation in Jonglei, as well as rising conflict in Akobo itself, we decided to retain our peacekeepers until we were confident that our political engagements had taken hold,” she added.

Gbeho explained that UNMISS would retain peacekeepers in Akobo until the mission was satisfied that its political and mediation efforts were producing results, tensions had eased, civilians were no longer under immediate threat, and humanitarian organizations could safely deliver aid to affected communities.

Foreign missions urge dialogue, cite peace deal as basis of govt legitimacy

A group of foreign embassies and the European Union delegation in South Sudan have called on parties to the Revitalized Peace Agreement to immediately return to dialogue, warning against unilateral changes to the peace deal.

The joint statement was issued on Tuesday by the embassies of Australia, Canada, Cyprus, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Japan, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States, together with the Delegation of the European Union.

The diplomatic missions said the peace agreement remains the foundation of legitimacy for South Sudan’s transitional government.

The statement said any unilateral actions outside the framework of the agreement would undermine efforts to achieve lasting peace in the country.

“The Peace Agreement remains the basis of legitimacy for the transitional government in South Sudan,” the statement read.

“Unilateral changes to the Agreement are not in accordance with the letter and spirit of the Agreement and will not bring peace to South Sudan.”

The diplomats further urged all parties to resume dialogue and fully commit to the implementation of the peace agreement.

“We call for an immediate return to dialogue among all parties to the Peace Agreement,” the statement added.

The appeal comes amid growing political and security tensions in parts of the country, with regional and international partners increasingly calling for restraint and renewed engagement among the peace parties.

U.S. warns citizens against travel to South Sudan, Uganda, DRC over Ebola

The United States has advised its citizens not to travel to South Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, and Uganda for “any reason” following an Ebola outbreak in the two latter East African countries. Continue reading “U.S. warns citizens against travel to South Sudan, Uganda, DRC over Ebola”

Jonglei warns officials to resume work or face replacement and salary cuts

The government of Jonglei State has ordered local government administrative officers to return to their duty stations across various counties within two weeks, warning that failure to comply will lead to replacement and a salary cut. Continue reading “Jonglei warns officials to resume work or face replacement and salary cuts”

Governor Lobong suspends Torit land demarcation after community outcry

The Governor of Eastern Equatoria State Louis Lobong Lojore has ordered an immediate stop to ongoing land demarcation activities in and around Torit Town following complaints from local communities. Continue reading “Governor Lobong suspends Torit land demarcation after community outcry”

NSS confirms arrest of two MPs, one official

The National Security Service (NSS) Internal Security Bureau has confirmed the arrest and detention of three officials over allegations of forgery, unlawful use of presidential symbols of authority, smuggling of documents, and interference with ongoing investigations involving 16 detainees linked to financial and other related crimes.

Speaking to journalists in Juba on Tuesday, NSS spokesperson David Kumuri identified the suspects as lawmakers Kom Kom Geng and Ayii Ayii Akol, as well as Achan Agoth Aciec, an advisor of the First Lady.

Kumuri said the arrests followed the opening of a criminal case by the National Security Service on May 13, 2026, through the Public Prosecution Attorney at the Northern Police Division in Juba.

He said the suspects were apprehended in connection with alleged attempts to interfere with investigations into detainees accused of financial crimes.

“The National Security Service, Internal Security Bureau (ISB) informs the public of the arrest and detention of three individuals: Hon. Kom Kom Geng, Hon. Ayii Ayii Akol and Hon. Achan Agoth Aciec,” Kumuri said.

“The suspects were apprehended and charged with forgery of signatures, unlawful use of presidential symbols of authority, smuggling of documents and interference with ongoing investigations involving 16 detained individuals accused of financial and other related crimes.”

Kumuri added that the law must be respected by all citizens regardless of position, stressing that no one is above legal accountability.

“The law must take its course without fear or favour. No individual is above the law when national institutions and public trust are undermined through criminal conduct,” he said.

According to the NSS, the case file was forwarded to the relevant institutions for consideration on lifting immunities of the officials concerned.

The suspects are currently being held at the ISB detention facility pending further legal procedures.

The security agency also warned public officials, foreign nationals, and private business operators against engaging in acts that violate national laws, saying such actions undermine state institutions and are punishable under the law.

Support Eye Radio, the first independent radio broadcaster of news, information & entertainment in South Sudan.

Make a monthly or a one off contribution.