21st May 2026

VP Abdelbagi dismisses ethnic cleansing claim in talks with U.S. envoy

Vice President and Chairperson of the Service Delivery Cluster, Hussein Abdelbagi Akol, has told the United States Ambassador to South Sudan that recent violence in the country should not be described as ethnic cleansing.

According to a statement from the Office of the Vice President, Abdelbagi made the remarks during a diplomatic meeting with U.S. Ambassador Michael J. Adler in Juba on Tuesday.

The discussions focused on the implementation of the Revitalized Peace Agreement, political dialogue among the parties, and bilateral cooperation between South Sudan and the United States.

During the meeting, the Vice President addressed recent statements issued by the United States concerning allegations of ethnic cleansing in parts of the country.

He said the violence involved clashes between government forces and rebel groups, as well as intercommunal fighting in some areas, and therefore should not be characterized as ethnic cleansing.

Abdelbagi reaffirmed the government’s commitment to implementing the peace agreement, promoting national dialogue, and pursuing lasting peace and stability across the country.

The two sides also discussed opportunities for increased U.S. investment in South Sudan, particularly in education, healthcare, and other public service sectors.

According to the statement, the meeting concluded with both sides reaffirming the importance of strengthening diplomatic relations and cooperation in support of peace, stability, and sustainable development in South Sudan.

Western Equatoria receives essential medicines after nearly a year shortage

The Minister of Health in Western Equatoria State says the state finally received a supply of essential medicines last week after nearly a year without drugs. Continue reading “Western Equatoria receives essential medicines after nearly a year shortage”

Jonglei govt orders officials to return to duty stations

The government of Jonglei State has ordered local government officials to return to their duty stations across the state within two weeks or else face replacement.

In a circular dated 19, May, 2026, seen by Eye Radio, the State Ministry of Local Government and Law Enforcement directed recently redeployed officials to report to their assigned counties within 14 days.

The affected areas include Bor, Twic East, Duk, Nyirol, Uror, and Fangak counties.

According to the circular, officials currently staying in Juba have been instructed to urgently return to the state headquarters in Bor unless they have official permission from the ministry allowing them to remain outside the state.

The ministry warned that any official who fails to comply with the directive risks being replaced and removed from the government payroll.

The circular also cautioned administrative officials against participating in political debates or partisan activities, saying the law prohibits civil servants from engaging in party politics.

State authorities say the directive is aimed at ensuring effective service delivery and strengthening local administration across Jonglei State.

Continue reading “Jonglei govt orders officials to return to duty stations”

S Sudan at breaking point as violence, rape and hunger escalate — MSF report

Indiscriminate attacks on civilians, sexual violence, forced recruitment, hunger, and shrinking humanitarian access are pushing South Sudan into a worsening humanitarian crisis, according to a new report by Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF).

In a report titled “They Killed Them While We Were Running”, MSF says civilians across multiple states are facing repeated attacks on villages, displacement, and destruction of essential infrastructure, including health facilities.

The report states that between January 2025 and April 2026, at least 12 attacks targeted MSF staff and medical facilities, leaving an estimated 762,000 people without access to healthcare services.

MSF says civilians are being exposed to airstrikes, ground assaults, abductions, forced recruitment, and widespread sexual and gender-based violence across Jonglei, Upper Nile, Central Equatoria, Lakes, Warrap, Western Equatoria, Abyei, and Greater Pibor.

According to the organization, healthcare services have also come under attack, including the bombing of hospitals and looting of medical facilities. It says MSF-supported hospitals in Old Fangak and Lankien were struck by air attacks in separate incidents, while other facilities were looted by unidentified armed groups.

The report further notes that humanitarian space is shrinking, with access restrictions and insecurity preventing aid agencies from reaching populations in urgent need.

MSF Head of Mission in South Sudan, Zakaria Mwatia, said civilians are increasingly trapped between fighting forces, with populated areas being directly affected.

“Across these areas, civilians are facing airstrikes and ground attacks, forced recruitment, abductions, and widespread sexual and gender-based violence,” Mwatia said.

“Populated towns and villages are being hit, resulting in civilian casualties, mass displacement, and the destruction of civilian infrastructure.”

The report also highlights a sharp rise in violence-related injuries treated by MSF. The organization says it treated over 6,000 people in 2025 alone for injuries including gunshot wounds, blast injuries, and sexual violence—an increase compared to the previous year.

In one account included in the report, MSF staff described survivors of sexual violence repeatedly attacked even after seeking medical care, underscoring what the organization calls a cycle of vulnerability and insecurity.

MSF warns that humanitarian assistance is increasingly being restricted or manipulated for political and military purposes, limiting aid delivery in some areas, particularly opposition-controlled regions.

The organization is calling on all parties to the conflict—including government forces and opposition groups—to respect international humanitarian law and protect civilians, healthcare workers, and humanitarian infrastructure.

MSF says civilians must never be targeted, and humanitarian access must be guaranteed to ensure lifesaving assistance reaches all people in need.

Continue reading “S Sudan at breaking point as violence, rape and hunger escalate — MSF report”

Unity State reports rise in cholera cases across three counties

The government of Unity State says it has recorded a rise in suspected cholera cases across three counties over the past two days.

According to the State Minister of Health, Jal Puok Nhial, at least 51 patients showing symptoms consistent with cholera have been admitted to health facilities in Panyigiar, Bentiu, and Mayom counties.

The minister told Eye Radio on Tuesday that more than half of the cases—27 in total—were reported in the former Protection of Civilians (POC) site in Bentiu.

He added that 22 patients are currently receiving treatment at Bentiu State Hospital, while Mayom and Panyigiar counties have recorded one case each.

“A lot of cases are on the rise… in the past 24 hours we have recorded 51. In Mayom we have one case, Panyigiar has one case, Bentiu State Hospital has 22 and in former POC we have 27,” Minister Nhial said.

Minister Nhial said that cases in both the Bentiu IDP camp and the state hospital are being managed with support from Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders), which is providing medical assistance on the ground.

He praised MSF for its ongoing response, saying the organization has helped save lives amid the outbreak, while also calling on the government to increase funding for the health sector to strengthen the capacity of health institutions to respond to disease outbreaks.

“We are appealing to the Ministry of Health to look into this matter critically and to our health partners to respond quickly… MSF is supporting us especially in Bentiu and POC. The government has to ensure that money is paid on time… we also appeal to our people to leave POC and IDPs and come back to rebuild their homes because POC is too congested.”

Nhial also appealed to residents of the former POC site to return to their homes, saying overcrowding and poor sanitation in the camp are contributing to the spread of disease.

Health authorities say surveillance and response measures are ongoing as efforts continue to contain the spread of the disease.

Continue reading “Unity State reports rise in cholera cases across three counties”

U.S. bans entry from Ebola-affected countries as American patient identified

The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has announced a 30-day suspension of entry into the U.S. for foreign nationals who have recently been in South Sudan, the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), or Uganda.

According to the CDC, the temporary measure applies to non-U.S. citizens who have been present in any of the three countries within the previous 21 days, as American health authorities respond to the ongoing Ebola outbreak in the region.

The agency said the restriction is intended to reduce the risk of Ebola transmission into the United States, although officials emphasized that the immediate threat to the American public remains low.

Ebola has an incubation period of up to 21 days, meaning infected individuals may travel before developing symptoms.

The CDC said that U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, certain diplomats, military personnel, and approved humanitarian workers are exempt from the restriction.

The move follows reports that an American aid worker in the DRC tested positive for Ebola and is being transferred to Germany for treatment.

U.S. authorities have also reportedly suspended routine visa services at embassies in Juba, Kinshasa, and Kampala during the period of the health measures.

Health officials in the affected countries continue to monitor and contain the outbreak, while international agencies are coordinating response efforts.

The CDC said the restrictions will remain in place for 30 days, subject to review depending on the public health situation.

Ruweng to organise peace rallies in five counties to promote peace and security

The Government of Ruweng Administrative Area says it plans to organize peace rallies in five counties of the area to promote peace and strengthen security ahead of the upcoming national elections. Continue reading “Ruweng to organise peace rallies in five counties to promote peace and security”

Civil aviation: New air traffic system will improve safety, increase revenue

The Director General of the South Sudan Civil Aviation Authority says the newly inaugurated air traffic system will increase aviation safety and improve revenue collection. Continue reading “Civil aviation: New air traffic system will improve safety, increase revenue”

Support Eye Radio, the first independent radio broadcaster of news, information & entertainment in South Sudan.

Make a monthly or a one off contribution.