22nd August 2026

Western Equatoria steps up Ebola prevention measures

Author: John Gai | Published: May 20, 2026

Photo|Courtesy

The government of Western Equatoria State says it has intensified preventive measures to guard against a possible outbreak of Ebola Virus Disease in the state, following confirmed cases in neighboring Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda.

According to the State Minister of Health, James Abdalla Arona, health authorities have deployed additional medical personnel to key border entry points to screen travelers arriving from the DRC.

“We have deployed more health professionals to various entry points at the border between the Democratic Republic of Congo and South Sudan to screen travelers entering the state from the DRC to prevent the importation of the disease into the country,” Arona said.

He added that an emergency coordination taskforce has been established to oversee response efforts in collaboration with partners.

“The government has formed an emergency coordination taskforce headed by the health minister to coordinate efforts between government and partners to prevent an outbreak of the disease,” he noted.

The minister further explained that a risk communication team has also been set up to raise public awareness on preventive measures.

“We have a risk communication team to disseminate information about Ebola in all counties through FM radio, including Anita FM, and communication in schools and churches,” he said.

Arona urged the public to remain calm, stressing that no Ebola cases have been confirmed in Western Equatoria State so far.

“We urge the public to remain calm. No case of Ebola has been confirmed in the state yet,” he said.

He also outlined the government’s preparedness plan, highlighting surveillance and screening at identified entry points.

“We have formed committees, we have a risk assessment team, and a coordinating body under the leadership of the health minister to coordinate with partners and state leadership,” Arona said.

“We have identified entry points in Ibba, Kangura, and Ezo. These are areas we are prepared to deploy additional health staff to for proper screening of people coming from Congo and those moving between South Sudan and Congo.”

The measures come after the World Health Organization declared an Ebola outbreak in the DRC’s Ituri Province last week, while Uganda also confirmed cases in Bundibugyo in its western region on Monday.

Health authorities in Western Equatoria say surveillance and cross-border screening remain key priorities as regional health agencies work to contain the spread of the disease.

Support Eye Radio, the first independent radio broadcaster of news, information & entertainment in South Sudan.

Make a monthly or a one off contribution.