18th August 2026

Five killed in deadly attack in Eastern Equatoria’s Budi county

Authors: John Gai | Patricia Dominic | Published: May 12, 2026

Barricade tape for crime scene (Courtesy)

At least five people, including three children, were killed and three others injured following a deadly cattle raid attack in Homiri Payam area of Budi County, Eastern Equatoria State, a local youth leader said.

Several attempts to reach county authorities, including the area commissioner and lawmakers, were unsuccessful due to poor telecommunications networks in the area.

However, in an email sent to Eye Radio earlier this week, the Budi Community Association shared photographs of the victims of the attack.

Confirming the statement, youth leader Simon Lokiru Maurice, who spoke to Eye Radio said the attack was carried out allegedly by a group of armed youth from neighboring Ikwoto County on the night of May 8, 2026.

Lokiru said the attackers raided two cattle kraals west of Chukudum and stole more than 105 heads of cattle after opening fire on residents while they were asleep.

Among those killed were three boys aged 10, five, and three years old, as well as a 60-year-old man and a 35-year-old man.

“On 8 May, Logiri warriors attacked west of Chukudum. They attacked two kraals, took the cattle, and killed three children,” Lokiru said.

“They came when people were sleeping and opened fire while the people were asleep, which is why the children were killed. All the children killed were male,” he added.

“The incident was intentional because the attackers monitored the kraals. They also knew the kraals were far from town and that the youth had no guns,” he said.

The youth leader criticized authorities in both Budi and Ikwoto counties for what he described as a lack of response to the incident.

“The people of Budi County are still in tears and there has been no response from either Budi or Ikwoto counties,” Lokiru stated.

He called on the governments of the two counties to recover the stolen cattle, identify those responsible for the killings, and ensure they are brought to justice.

“As youth, we condemn the killing of young boys. We are calling on the governments of the two counties to bring the perpetrators to the law and ensure the return of the cattle,” he said.

Lokiru added that urgent government intervention is needed to restore peace and security in the area.

“The government must respond for the sake of peace as soon as possible,” he said.

Efforts to speak to authorities in neighboring Logir area were unsuccessful.

Support Eye Radio, the first independent radio broadcaster of news, information & entertainment in South Sudan.

Make a monthly or a one off contribution.