22nd May 2026

NCA to restore Facebook, TikTok platforms within 3 days

Facebook and TikTok could be restored in the country within 72 hours, according to the Director General of the National Communication Authority (NCA)

Speaking at a press briefing on Thursday, Napoleon Adok explained that the platforms were temporarily blocked to protect public interests and uphold social values.

He said the suspension followed incidents of protests and looting that were fueled by inflammatory content circulating on the platforms.

Adok clarified that the ban targeted only Facebook and TikTok due to their high volume of video-sharing, which was considered sensitive during this period.

He emphasized that the intention was not to block internet access entirely but to address specific concerns.

“Our intention was not to prevent South Sudanese from accessing information. Our intention is to create pressure for those making profits of the social media platform to put effort into cleaning up the social media environment because our children are accessing those images and we need to protect their mental health.”

The NCA boss said there is a possibility that these platforms could be restored within 72 hours, even though the initial directive was for 30 days.

“Even though we have set the date for 30 days, it means that with this compliance, there is a possibility we can lift the ban of these two social media within the next 72 hours.

Adok urged the public to report inappropriate content directly to Meta and highlighted that collective action could help regulate the platforms.

Addressing concerns about VPN use, Adok said individuals accessing the platforms through such means were not the target of the directive but called for responsible sharing of content.

Yakan urges RNTLA to fast-track cyber-crime law to pin violators

Civil society activist has called on parliament to expedite the enactment of legislation on cyber-crime saying it is critical in addressing the increasing challenges posed by the digital space.

Edmund Yakani, Executive Director of the Community Empowerment for Progress Organization (CEPO pointed out that the absence of this legislation has left significant legal gaps, preventing the judiciary from effectively addressing cases of computer misuse and cyber-crime.

“Our parliament have delayed  the legislation on computer misuse and cyber crime which could have been the law applied by our judiciary in addressing these particular challenges that we have seen today with regard to matters of computer misuse and cyber crime”, he said.

According to him, the absence of a legal framework is a major setback in addressing the misuse of technology.”

“So, we have legal gaps in our country. Now they (cyber crime) is becoming real and this decision is unacceptable.

Yakani strongly criticized the National Telecommunications Regulatory Authority’s decision to impose a 90-day ban on Facebook and TikTok, labelling it a hindrance to democracy, civic engagement, and education.

Yakani said the ban limits the democratic engagement of citizens and curtails their access to civic education

“This decision is unfortunate because it hinders the exercise of a democratic engagement among citizens and it limits civic education. We are arguing with due respect and honor, lift the ban on the use of social media platform, Facebook and TikTok.”

He urged the government to lift the ban on these platforms, adding that  there should be targeted legal measures for addressing misuse, rather than imposing a blanket bans that affect all users.

“There should be a legal way of handling the abuse by some individual whom we thumb them as criminal minded individuals”, he added.

In September 2024, the Ministry of Justice and Constitutional Affairs presented the Cybercrime and Computer Misuse Bill 2024 to the Transitional National Legislative Assembly (TNLA) after the House previously rejected the law in its provisional form.

The legislation, originally issued by President Salva Kiir as a Provisional Order in 2021, faced delays after the TNLA ruled in 2023 that its validity had expired.

Lawmakers directed Justice and Constitutional Affairs Minister Ruben Madol to repackage the order as a formal bill for reintroduction.

Economist expresses concerns over consequences of social media ban

An economist and advisor in the office of the Vice President Dr James Wani igga has expressed concerns over the economic consequences of the recent social media ban imposed by the National Communication Authority.

The ban, which affects platforms like Facebook and TikTok has sparked widespread debate over its implications for businesses, communication, and revenue generation.

Speaking to Eye Radio yesterday, Dr. Abraham Maliet highlighted that social media has become an essential part of economic development in the country.

Dr. Maliet warned that the ban could disrupt businesses that rely on social media for advertising, customer engagement, and sales.

“So, there are businesses that are selling and buying and marketing through social media, and that, in the end, it’s a job for those who are actually having those social media outlets. It’s a job through which they will make a living.

” It is affecting them because they are not reaching out to their potentials because now they are not be able to communicate as they used to do.

“So, attracting new customers or maintaining the existing customers now will be very difficult. So, for sure they will not be able to reach their potential as they have been designed to do so.

“If somebody is advertising their products through social media, then those advertisements will not reach to the potential buyers because there will be no medium to communicate”, he said.

The economist cautioned that the ban could have a ripple effect on the broader tech industry, including internet service providers and digital entrepreneurs.

He also noted the potential for long-term damage to South Sudan’s economy if businesses lose trust in the stability of the communication infrastructure.

Dr. Maliet urged the government to review the ban urgently, proposing a more targeted approach to address concerns about hate speech and misinformation on social media.

“I advise our people to review this decision as fast as possible and do what I call a thorough check on those who are doing positive businesses to be allowed to continue and those who are doing negative businesses to be banned.

“So I urge them and recommend to them to review it so fast so that we’re not going to do the same thing which happened last time. You know, there was a big load of trucks that were not able to come to South Sudan because of a misunderstanding on miscalculation and we suffered”, he added.

The Economist also called for a thorough assessment of the ban’s economic impact and swift action to prevent further harm.

The ban, which is set to last 90 days, has already sparked debate among policymakers, civil society, and the business community.

Minister Goc addresses UNSC on narcotic drugs, counter-terrorism

The Minister of Foreign Affairs has called on the UN Security Council to support African states in improving the livelihoods of their communities to prevent them from being lured into extremist groups.

Ramadan Mohammed Goc made the call while addressing the UN Security Council on strengthening African leadership in counter terrorism and advancing sustainable peace and security in New York.

He believes there is need for the security council to support mechanism that ensure direct and reliable financial resources for the 2063 African Union vision for peaceful and prosperous Africa.

“Socioeconomic development is fundamental to counter terrorism. Extremists group strive in environment where poverty, unemployment and inequality prissiest. Agenda of 2063 of the African Union vision for peaceful and prosperous Africa underscore the importance of addressing this root causes.

“South Sudan calls on this council to support development initiative and prioritize education, infrastructure, youth employment and empowerment of women by investing in our people by providing hope for better future will reduce the vulnerability of our communities to extremists’ ideologies.”

In September last year, President Salva Kiir consented to three international conventions against illicit trafficking in narcotic drugs, transnational organized crimes, and terrorism financing.

It included the 1999 International Conventions for the Suppression of the Financing of Terrorism, which enhances international cooperation in devising and adopting effective measures for the prevention of the financing of terrorism.

The other one is the UN Convention against illicit traffic in Narcotic drugs and Psychotropic substances, adopted in 1988.

The Convention aims to limit the diversion and abuse of certain psychotropic substances, such as central nervous stimulants, sedative-hypnotics, and hallucinogens, which had resulted in public health and social problems in South Sudan.

Minister Ramadan Mohammed Goc however said there is need to strengthen the financial intelligence system and border security to disrupt such network.

“South Sudan recognizes the significant role of transnational organized crime in financing terrorism whether through illicit financial flow, drug trafficking or arms smuggling.

“We call on this council to support African states in strengthen the financial intelligence system and border security framework, regional cooperation and technical support from international partners are essential to disrupt this network”, he said

Bar Association threatens to sue NCA over social media ban

South Sudan Bar Association issues a 72-hour ultimatum to National Communication Authority to revoke the social media ban or its risks being sued at a regional court.

In statement shared with Eye Radio’s news room signed by chairperson of the Sudan Bar Association stated that failure rescind the ban, the Bar will take legal proceedings at South Sudan Courts, East African Court of Justice, as well as other regional and international avenues.

On Wednesday National Communication Authority ordered all Internet Service Providers to partially block all social media sites within the territory of South Sudan for a period of (90) days effective from 22nd January 2025,

The Bar Association stated that the decision violates article 24, sections 1 and 2 of the Transitional Constitution of the Republic of South Sudan, 2011 as Amended that grants the citizens the right to freedom of speech and expression, reception, and dissemination of information, publication, and access to the press.

The right to freedom of expression is also guaranteed under article 19 (2) of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), and article (9) of the African Charter on Peoples and Human Rights (APHR).

The South Sudan Bar Association rejected NCA’s justifications that cite the need to stop the videos and footages of the atrocities committed in Wad-Medani, Sudan from being circulated on social media platforms in South Sudan.

It argues that social media platforms provide the people of South Sudan the right to access information and that it was through social media that they came to know about the atrocities in Sudan, and enabled them to follow the fate of their dear ones.

The association has described the he decision of NCA as unjust as it also deprived entrepreneur’s opportunity to market their goods and services as part of E- commerce,

According to the association, banning social Media platforms gives a collective punishment to all south Sudanese over the misconduct of few individuals, which it said is unreasonable, unfair and unjustifiable.

Governor Jadalla orders immediate halt to Kajo-keji illegal logging

The Governor of Central Equatoria State issued an immediate directive to halt all logging activities in Kajo-Keji County.

The order includes confiscating equipment of violators such as logging machines, loaders, and vehicles used for the activity.

The Governor Augustino Jadalla Kamilo Wani instructed the Commissioner of Kajo-Keji County, David Lisi Christopher, to ensure that any trucks detained at the Jale border point with freshly cut logs are returned, and the logs offloaded at their original collection sites.

The directive follows reports of fresh logging in Kajo-Keji County, which Governor Jadallah addressed during a meeting at the State Secretariat in Juba with Commissioner Lisi and Security Coordinator Data Godfrey.

The Governor emphasized that during his recent visit to Kajo-Keji, his approval only extended to the collection and sale of old, rotting logs for road rehabilitation, not the cutting of live trees.

According to the post shared on a social media, the Governor Jadalla ordered the formation of an investigative committee to establish facts surrounding the allegations of fresh logging.

He warned that individuals found responsible for violating directives will face consequences.

The Governor also instructed the Commissioner and Security Coordinator to work together to maintain stability and provide hope to the community.

He directed them to brief chiefs and residents on the new directives regarding logging.

The controversy arises amidst efforts to rehabilitate internal roads in Kajo-Keji, a project Governor Jadallah launched last month.

The community had agreed to use old, rotting logs as resources for the project, but reports of fresh logging have sparked concerns.

Governor Jadallah’s firm stance reflects his commitment to preserving Kajo-Keji’s natural environment while ensuring the success of development projects aimed at improving the community’s welfare.

CECAFA holds Ordinary General Assembly in Juba

The South Sudan Football Association (SSFA) has reportedly accorded a wonderful reception for CECAFA leadership and member state representatives who arrived in Juba to attend the Ordinary General Assembly due Wednesday.

Mr. Augustino Maduot, SSFA President, expressed joy at welcoming the delegates and heads of East and West African football associations in what marks a significant milestone for sports in the country.

SSFA press unit cited Mr. Maduot as saying: “This event not only highlights our potential as a host for major sporting events but also showcases the vibrant culture and hospitality of South Sudan.”

Mr. Wallace Karia who is the President of CECAFA reportedly acknowledged the SSFA’s efforts, adding that this that this assembly is poised to be one of the most successful in CECAFA’s history.

The ceremony attended by board members and local football association heads, seeks to promote and develop football in the region.

Jamus hold Kator FC to 1-1 draw

Jamus FC and Kator FC shared the points in a thrilling encounter, ending in a 1-1 draw that secured the
second place for Kator with 13 points in the South Sudan Premier League standings.

While Jamus in fourth position with 11points, Jamus holds the advantage on goal difference.

The match, played in front of a large crowd and a CECAFA delegation visiting South Sudan, showcased intense competition between the two sides.

Jamus FC, under their Kenyan coach, started strong with high possession and pressure, seeking an early goal to unsettle Kator. However, Kator organized defense and dangerous counterattacks kept the game balanced. Bamous’ goalkeeper was key in denying Kator an early lead.

The first half ended goalless, marked by strong clashes and multiple yellow cards. The breakthrough came mid-second half when Kator capitalized on a defensive misstep by Jamus, with a Jamous player slotting the ball into the net, sparking celebrations.

In response, jamus made substitutions to boost their attack and pressed hard through set pieces and corner kicks, only to be thwarted by Kator goalkeeper.

In the 93rd minute, Bamous FC found their equalizer. A controversial moment saw Kator’s defense hesitate, assuming an offside call, but the referee allowed play to continue.

Jamus player capitalized, scoring the equalizing goal in the dying moments. The match ended 1-1, with Kator second with 13 point while Jamus with 11 points from three wins and a 2draw. The result keeps both Jamus and Kator unbeaten in the league and firmly in contention for the title.

Koryom FC Bor hold grip of SSPL table

Koryom FC Bor continues their dominance in the South Sudan Premier League, reaching 15 points with their fifth consecutive victory after defeating Wajuma FC of Aweil 2-1 at Juba National Stadium.

This win was further bolstered by a draw between Koryom closest rivals, Kator Jamus. At 6th minute, Wajuma FC took an early lead when Sabri Mutawakil scored after capitalizing on a blocked shot from his teammate.
At 11th minute Koryom Bor had a goal disallowed for offside. At the last minute of the half time Koryom equalized through a penalty scored by Christopher Kiria, bringing the score to 2-1 by halftime.

The match saw intense action, with both teams pushing hard.  Wajuma made the 71st minute, substitutions to strengthen their attack, while Koryom maintained offensive pressure.

A yellow card was issued to a Koryom Bor player, followed by a second yellow leading to a red card. Koryom’s assistant coach also received a red card too for protesting decisions.

Despite these challenges, Koryom Bor managed to hold onto their lead.

The referee added six minutes of stoppage time before blowing the final whistle, sealing the match 2-1 in favor of Koryom Bor.

This victory cements Koryom Bor’s position at the top of the league standings, showcasing their resilience and determination.

President Kiir removes several officials in NGBs

President Salva Kiir relieved three Northern Bahr el Ghazal state ministers and other officials in a series of Republic decrees  on Monday.

In the decrees read on the state-own TV, SSBC, Kiir relieved Thiep Tong as Minister of Animal Resources and Fisheries NBGS and appointed  Peter Dut Akot Dut as his replacement

Kiir also removed relieved Information Minister  Zechariah Garang Lual and replaced him with Gabriel Deng Yel .

A separate decree saw  Santino Bol Akok relieved from his position as Minister of general education and instruction, NBGS and Akoon Diing Angok appointed in his place.

In another decree, the head of state removed Andrea Lual Buola from his position as Minister of Finance and Planning for NBGS and appointed Ruay Dut Akol.

Kiir Chan Wol, the Commissioner of Aweil North County, Awet Kiir Awet who is the legal advisor NBGs and Achuil Longar Achuil, the Chairperson of Human Rights Commission NBGS have also been relieved a

Ajith Angony has become the Chairperson of the state Human Rights Commission while Deng kuel Kuel appointed as the new Commissioner of Aweil North County.

Support Eye Radio, the first independent radio broadcaster of news, information & entertainment in South Sudan.

Make a monthly or a one off contribution.