22nd May 2026

Minister Napwon bans illegal logging across South Sudan

The Minister of Environment and Forestry has banned the cutting of trees in the country’s national forests and their exportation amid reports of renewed Logging in Kajo-keji County, Central Equatoria State.

Minister Josephin Napwon’s order dated 20th January came following an outcry from locals in Kajo-Keji County concerning illegal logging in the area.

At the weekend, the natives of Kajo-Keji appealed to the Ministry of Environment and Forestry, Central Equatoria State governor, and the county commissioner to intervene and put an end to alleged illegal logging in the area.

The locals shared pictures of fell trees and a loaded truck bearing a Ugandan number plate in Mere Boma of Kajo-Keji County.

In what appears was a response, Minister Josephine Napwon accused armed forces and County officials of being involved in the activities.

“We found out that people who are doing logging are people with guns in their hands, most of them fall in the category of people of South Sudan and also, some of our commissioners are giving illegal permit to foreigners to cut our forest.

‘If you see the case Kajo-Keji, it is actually our own forces, and I don’t know whether there is a division among the forces in Kajo-Keji but I believe these are all people with arms in their hands.

To stop the practice, Napwon issued an order prohibiting the tree harvesting and exportation, and mandating the security organs to arrest violators.

“The Ministry urges the authorities in the states to refrain from granting forest concessions or permits to provide companies to log with out consultations. This is not only in Kajo-Keji but we have witnessed this in the states.

The order came into effect since yesterday.

According to Napwon, a forest bill is underway adding that the Ministry is developing policies to guide the use of natural forest according to international standards.

Trump delays TikTok ban in executive order

President Trump has signed an executive order granting TikTok a 75-day extension to comply with a law that requires a sale or ban of the platform.

He says during that time, the US will not enforce the law passed by Congress last year and signed by former President Joe Biden.

The order was among a slew of directives Trump signed on Monday evening.

Speaking to reporters in the Oval Office, he said: “I tell you what. Every rich person has called me about TikTok.”

When asked by a reporter why he’s had a change of heart since trying to ban TikTok in 2020, Trump responded: “Because I got to use it.”

He also floated the possibility of a joint venture, saying he was seeking a 50-50 partnership between “the United States” and its Chinese owner ByteDance. But he did not give any further details on how that might work.

On Saturday evening, the Chinese-owned app stopped working for American users, after a law banning it on national security grounds came into effect.

It resumed services to its 170 million users in the US after Trump said he would issue an executive order to give the app a reprieve when he took office.

The Biden administration had argued that TikTok could be used by China as a tool for spying and political manipulation.

Opponents of a ban have cited freedom of speech as a reason for keeping the platform open.

TikTok’s parent company, ByteDance, previously ignored a law requiring it to sell its US operations to avoid a ban.

The law was upheld by Supreme Court on Friday and went into effect on Sunday, but the Biden White House said it would leave implementing the law to the incoming administration given the timing.

Trump had backed a ban of the platform during his first term in office.

The newly signed executive order places him at odds with many members of Congress from his own party.

President Kiir’s recent appointees sworn-in

The newly appointed officials at the presidency, oil and aviation sectors among others have taken oath of office in a Monday event witnessed by President Salvak Kiir.

The officials include; Gen. Thoi Chany Reat who replaced Tut Gatluak Manime as Presidential Advisor of National Security Affairs with the latter assigned as Special Envoy for the Middle East.

The newly appointed Chief Administrator of Greater Pibor Administrative Area Peter Gozulu Maze was among the officials sworn in, taking over the leadership from Gola Boyoi.

Mary James Ajith has officially assumed her office as well, as the new Undersecretary in the Ministry of Justice and Constitutional Affairs.

Other officials include members of the new Board of Directors of the national oil corporation, Nilepet and the Board of Directors of Civil Aviation Authority.

In his remarks, President Kiir reportedly ordered the Board of Directors of the national oil corporation,to promote national development, and aviation authority to promote safety and improve Juba International Airport to meet the global standards.

NBGs Governor Mawut strongly warns citizens against violence

 Northern Bahr el Ghazal State governor has urged an end to violence against Sudanese traders and refugees residing in the state where he also called for mutual respect and understanding.

Simon Ober Mawut made the call during Sunday prayers at Christian Unity Fellowship Church in the Malou-Awer residential area.

He reportedly visited displaced Sudanese nationals during the same day and pledged government support and protection.

He urged the Sudanese refugees to remain patient as the government implements protection measures to ensure their peaceful and safe return to their homes.

While addressing the congregation, Governor Mawut emphasized the importance of harmonious and non-violent coexistence among citizens of Northern Bahr el Ghazal.

He encouraged locals to cooperate with security agencies by providing vital information about any suspicious activities in their areas.

Governor Mawut issued a stern warning, stating that anyone caught attacking others or looting property would face the full force of the law, according to the press office.

Mr Mawut went on to urge all residents to demonstrate good behavior and work together to promote lasting peace in the community.

A representative of the Sudanese nationals expressed gratitude to Governor Mawut and the state security agencies for their efforts in safeguarding lives during the Friday morning riots.

Continue reading “NBGs Governor Mawut strongly warns citizens against violence”

S.Sudan makes strides in green energy as govt solar-powers Juba

The unity government commissioned a 20-Megawatt- solar plant in Gondokoro, Central Equatoria State on Saturday as part of promoting green energy in South Sudan and lessening the power cost.

The Ministry of Energy and Dams in collaboration with Ezra Group and South Sudan Electricity cooperation also launched 14 Megawatts Battery Energy Storage System’s (BESS) during the inauguration exercise.

According to Ezra Group, the 20 Megawatts clean energy will serve 16,000 households in Juba with electricity and reduce tariffs.

Speaking at the launch,Vice President Taban Deng Gai encouraged more investors to build more clean energy as its crucial for developmental projects such as mining sector.

“We can put another about 10 Mini Dams that can produce 40 to 100 megawatts. This is another investment. We want people who can come and invest in dams

“If you put dams in Yei and in Sui River in Western Equatoria, also in  Raja in Western Bahr el Ghazal that will also produce electricity giving us chances of going to mining because mine needs a lot of energy.

“So we need more energy and we encourage more investors to come into energy. Come also in roads, build dams. Also transportation of electricity from Ethiopia and Uganda are other investments.”

The Minister of Energy and Dams, Peter Marcello Nasir Jelenge reiterated his government commitments in installing more solar power plants across the country.

“Considering that the country has a vast potential to tap solar energy, this solar plant is part of an aggressive campaign to install more and bigger solar power plants.

“As we inaugurate the first grid-type solar PV plant today, the government is also working with partners to commission Nesitu’s 20 megawatt solar power plant in the near future.”

On his part, Ezra Group’s Chief Operation Officer, Natanael Ghebrengus said the investment target is to reduce electricity tariffs to people and establish crude oil refinery facility in Juba.

“Ezra has taken different initiatives including this project we commissioned today plus the refinery that we have purchased and the modular refinery that is in place here, is still under construction or yet to be constructed.

“We have also invested in transport barges that will move from here to Bentiu or Melut, carrying crude  locally and refine it within Juba and use refined fuel here in Juba.”

According to Joseph Africano Bartel, Undersecretary, Ministry of Environment and Forestry, this power project will have 70% of the reduction in our carbon footprints from the energy.

“So we’ll have at least 70% of power in Juba, a clean energy. So the good thing with this, we’ll have a hybrid  because sometimes solar might be having some issue because of the sun.

“These 33 will be balancing it but the good thing, we’ll have 70% of the reduction in our carbon footprints from the energy.

“So in the Ministry of Environment, our plan is to generate 3,000 megawatts from clean energy. So solar will be part of it. When we go to the Fulla hydro, we can also get there wind, geothermal and natural gas.”

According to researchers, clean energy produce almost no harmful emissions such as carbon dioxide that are linked to numerous health problems.

Koryom Bor thrash Bentiu City 4-0

Koryom Bor FC delivered an outstanding performance to defeat Bentiu City 4-0, extending their lead in the South Sudan Premier League.

Koryom Bor took an early lead with a free kick converted by Goch Ayiik

With the enthusiasm of the match and the strong players, the referee showed the first yellow card. to a Bentiu City player.

The half ended with Koryom Bor maintaining their 1-0 lead, showcasing strong offensive plays.

Koryom Bor continued their dominance, with relentless pressure on Bentiu City’s defense.

67th Minute Musma Magic doubled Koryom Bor’ lead with a brilliant finish.

Corium relied on counterattacks, leaving possession to Bentiu City, who attacked with a large number of players without taking the defense into consideration in 69th minute a penalty kick taken by Christova Kiiry brought the score to 3-0.

76th Minute Maude Garang sealed the game with a fourth goal.

Bentiu City had a goal 82nd minute disallowed for offside, adding to their frustration.

Koryom Bor controlled the game with superior tactics and offensive intensity, ensuring a comfortable victory.

Final Score: Koryom Bor 4 – 0 Bentiu City

This decisive win cements Koryom Bor position at the top of the league, demonstrating their strength as serious title contenders.

SSPL: Al-Hilal Wau FC edge past Torit’s Young Stars FC

In an impressive debut for their new coach John Aler, Al-Hilal Wau FC claimed a commanding 4-2 victory over Young Stars FC in a highly anticipated match in Juba stadium on Saturday.

Young Stars began the match with aggressive attacks, putting pressure on Al-Hilal Wow’s defense early on.

Despite Al-Hilal’s solid defensive performance, Young Stars’ Odoko scored in added time of the first half, giving them a 1-0 lead at halftime.

Al-Hilal’s coach, John Aleer, made two crucial substitutions to strengthen the midfield and disrupt Young Stars’ attacks.

The momentum shifted as Fadl Nasr El-Din Fadl equalized for Al-Hilal Wow with a penalty in the 47th minute.

Taking advantage of defensive gaps, Samtino scored the second goal, pushing Al-Hilal into the lead.

In the 66th minute, another penalty awarded to Al-Hilal Wow saw Youssef Mosaed scoring the third goal.

Fadl Nasr El-Din Fadl struck again in the 80th minute, securing a dominant 4-1 lead for Al-Hilal.

Young Stars managed a second goal through Wani Ezer in the 89th minute, reducing the deficit to 4-2.

The match concluded after four minutes of stoppage time, with Al-Hilal Wow emerging victorious.

Al-Hilal Wow showcased a remarkable comeback, turning the game around in the second half with tactical adjustments and clinical finishing.

Coach John Aler’s substitutions proved pivotal in reshaping the team’s gameplay.

Young Stars demonstrated strong attacking potential but struggled to maintain defensive stability.

Fadl Nasr El-Din Fadl, for his two goals and overall impact on the game.

Al-Hilal Wow begins its campaign with a promising win, setting a strong tone for the season ahead.

Ceasefire begins in Gaza as Hamas names first Israeli hostages to be freed

The long-awaited ceasefire in Gaza has come into force after a delay of nearly three hours, and thousands of Gazans are beginning to return home.

The first three Israeli female hostages are expected to be freed later – Hamas has named them as 31-year-old Doron Steinbrecher, dual British-Israeli Emily Damari, 28, and 24-year-old Romi Gonen

The ceasefire was delayed last-minute after Hamas failed to give Israel the names of the three hostages in time – Hamas blamed “technical field reasons”.

Up until the ceasefire began, Israel continued to carry out strikes on Gaza, killing 19 people today, according to the Hamas-run civil defence agency

Hamas attacked Israel on 7 October 2023, killing about 1,200 people and taking 251 back to Gaza as hostages.

The attack triggered a massive Israeli offensive on Gaza, during which more than 46,800 Palestinians have been killed, according to the Hamas-run health ministry.

Juba: Dozens of Sudanese who sought police protection return home

South Sudan’s Police Spokesperson confirmed that dozens of Sudanese nationals, who had sought shelter in police security premises in Juba on Thursday night, returned to their homes Sunday morning.

Colonel John Kassara Koang says this follows a significant improvement in the security situation within residential areas.

Speaking to Eye Radio, Colonel John Kassara Koang Nhial stated that the situation across the country has been relatively calm and normal over the past 24 hours.

Colonel Kassara also highlighted that no demonstrations or unrest have been recorded in any of the states or administrative areas during this period.

“The general situation is relatively calm and normal across the country in the last 24 hours. There’s no any activity of demonstration registered by the States and the administrative areas for the last 24 hours.

According to Colonel Kassara, some Sudanese nationals who had taken refuge in police facilities in Juba had already returned to their homes by this morning, with more expected to do so later in the afternoon.

“Dozens of the Sudanese who were hosted in the police’s premises within Hai Cinema, police club and police General headquarter in Buluk Juba have voluntary returned to their houses this morning due to calmness of situation within the residential areas and were escorted by the police.”

The statement was part of the regular security update provided by Colonel Kassara regarding the situation in South Sudan over the past 24 hours.

Col. Kasara said the police are expecting more internally displaced Sudanese national in the capital, Juba to return their homes Sunday evening.

“We are hereby assuring the public that the police will continue to intensify operations in the main markets and residential areas to root out crimes in order to keep all people living in the Republic of South Sudan safe.”

Boy dies due to lack of healthcare services in Lasu Payam

Locals in Lasu Payam have decried lack of healthcare services in the area after a five-year-old boy died while being rushed to main hospital in Yei town on Thursday.

Lukadi Joseph, who is an eyewitness said that while on his way to Lasu for independent monitoring, he encountered the distressed couple who urgently needed help to reach the hospital.

He said despite not knowing them, he chose to assist.

“They stopped me around eight miles away from here (Yei) and they told me brother we don’t know you but help us, we want to rush our child to hospital because  the child is really sick.

“I told them it’s okay I will continue footing and let my brother my drop you to the hospital including his child. Few meters to the hospital, the child passed on and they had to return the dead body.”

Tragically, Mr Jospeh said the child passed away just before they could arrive at the hospital, leaving the couple to return with their child’s lifeless body.

According to him, Lasu Primary Health Care Center is well constructed, but is out of medical supplies and Human Resources to serve the vulnerable community there.

Mr. Joseph highlights the fragility of life and the critical challenges faced in accessing medical care, underscoring the importance of raising awareness about healthcare accessibility and its impact on families.

“I really became so angry and I had to go to the facility. I went around trying to find out exactly what’s happening.

“I realized the PHCC is renovated but it’s not functional. There are no medicines and there are no human resources on the ground there.”

Mr Joseph discovered this was the 4th similar case of a child dying due to inadequate healthcare at Lasu County since the beginning of this year.

“It’s the fourth case. Previously, the three children died in the same manner.”

On his part, a nurse who used to work at Lasu Hospital, Mabe John highlights the significant challenges villagers in the Lasu area face in accessing healthcare services.

Workers deserted Lasu Hospital leaving the locals without health care services|Courtesy

“They (locals) cried after seeing us really leaving the area due to lack of support. There was no funding, and even the medicines got finished.”

Mr Mabe said the hospital had started picking well after getting support form health partners but this was shorlived and the funders pulled out, forcing the workers to desert the health care facility.

“At the end, we were just cut off, there is no funding for us who are in the new facilities and then we decided to leave because we cannot stay there if there is no support for us.

Why, he said, “Because our families also need something to survive. Also, we need something to survive. We need to cater for our kids who are in school, even for their health needs.”

Support Eye Radio, the first independent radio broadcaster of news, information & entertainment in South Sudan.

Make a monthly or a one off contribution.