22nd May 2026

Dozens of children in suspected Juba trafficking case returned to NBGs

Authorities in Northern Bahr el Ghazal have received dozens of children who were returned from Juba following investigations into a suspected child trafficking case.

A few days ago, police in Juba intercepted a vehicle carrying 46 children from Aweil South County in Northern Bahr el Ghazal State to the capital without legal documentation or parental consent.

The children, aged between four and 12 years old, were allegedly being transported by individuals claiming to run churches and support programs for vulnerable children in Juba.

Speaking earlier in a phone interview, Police Spokesperson Daniel Justin said that suspects were arrested after failing to provide documents proving consent from parents or guardians.

“We arrested a car carrying up to 46 children coming from Northern Bahr el Ghazal State, Aweil South County. These children are claimed to be brought for schooling here in Juba without any documentation, no proper authority from the parents authorizing these people to take the children for schooling,” he said.

He added that the children were very young and authorities had launched investigations into the individuals involved.

“At the same time, they are very young of age, ranging from 4 to 12 years old. We are investigating the guy who is claiming to be the teacher in that school. We are consulting the parents in Aweil to provide us with information. We are still gathering,” he explained.

Police said the suspects claimed the children were being taken to schools in Juba for education and care. However, investigators became suspicious after discovering that none of the individuals involved had written authorization from families or local authorities.

Major General Daniel Justin said investigators were verifying the identities of the children and consulting parents and authorities in Northern Bahr el Ghazal State to establish whether the movement of the minors was lawful.

Authorities warned that transporting minors without parental consent and proper legal procedures may amount to human trafficking and child exploitation under South Sudanese law.

Police also urged the public to remain alert and report any suspicious movement of children, especially across states without proper documentation or family approval.

The incident raised concern among the public over the growing vulnerability of children to illegal trafficking networks operating under the guise of religious, educational, or humanitarian activities.

Regional truck drivers enter S. Sudan after striking deal with authorities

Long-distance truck drivers have started entering South Sudan through Nimule after reaching an agreement with South Sudanese authorities following a two-week strike along the Juba–Nimule Highway.

The resumption of truck movement came after negotiations between the Government of South Sudan and the Long-Distance Truck Drivers’ Union aimed at addressing security and welfare concerns raised by the drivers.

A government delegation led by the Deputy Commissioner of the South Sudan Revenue Authority (SSRA), Solomon Ariik Manyok, visited Nimule on Sunday to witness the reopening of the vital trade corridor.

Speaking during the visit, Manyok assured the public that trucks had resumed movement after the drivers’ concerns were addressed.

“We are here this afternoon to assure the public and the people of South Sudan that vehicles are moving again. After all the discussions we have had, it was crucial to assure the drivers of their security, well-being, and that all their concerns were addressed,” he said.

He added that the government worked closely with the Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) and truck drivers to restore operations along the key highway.

The Mayor of Nimule Municipality, Caesar Longa Fuli, welcomed the development, saying the return of trucks would help stabilize prices of goods in markets across the country.

The Assistant Commissioner for Customs in Nimule, Jacob Malith Apiu, also assured drivers that joint security forces had been deployed to protect the highway between Nimule and Juba.

The Juba–Nimule Highway is South Sudan’s main trade route and handles the majority of goods imported into the country.

Rebecca Joshua, SPLA’s ‘voice of the revolution,’ shares journey of service following Thamani Award

Hon. Rebecca Joshua has traveled a long road, one that began in the trenches of the liberation struggle and led eventually to the halls of Parliament. Known once as SPLA’s “Voice of the Revolution,” she has now become a continental symbol of leadership. Continue reading “Rebecca Joshua, SPLA’s ‘voice of the revolution,’ shares journey of service following Thamani Award”

Oil production rises 16.3%, says petroleum Ministry undersecretary

The Ministry of Petroleum has announced what it described as “significant progress” in the oil sector, reporting a 16.3 percent increase in crude oil production across major oil fields, even as the country continues to face severe economic challenges.

Speaking during the recent welcoming ceremony of the newly appointed Minister of Finance and Planning in Juba, the Undersecretary in the Ministry of Petroleum, Santino Ayuel Langar, said efforts are being made to expand output to support the struggling economy.

“I would also like to inform you and the general public that in our institution, the Ministry of Petroleum, we are making significant progress in our oil sector,” Ayuel said.

He said production at the Dar Petroleum Operating Company (DPOC) has increased from 90,000 barrels per day to 102,000 barrels per day. Output at the Greater Pioneer Operating Company (GPOC) rose from 48,000 to 55,000 barrels per day, while the Sudd Petroleum Operating Company (SPOC) increased from 9,000 to 14,000 barrels per day.

“That is an increment of progress and we will continue to insert every effort to ensure that oil production, which is the backbone of our economy, increases,” he added.

Ayuel further projected that the country could reach a national production target of 250,000 barrels per day by next year if the current momentum continues.

The announcement comes at a time of rising economic pressure, including high market prices, delayed civil servant salaries, a weakening local currency, and growing public frustration over the cost of living.

Despite the reported increase in oil output, concerns remain over how petroleum revenues are managed amid ongoing hardship and strained public services. Oil continues to be the main source of national revenue. Continue reading “Oil production rises 16.3%, says petroleum Ministry undersecretary”

MSF demands accountability over bombing of old Fangak hospital

Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) has called for accountability and stronger protection of medical facilities in South Sudan, marking one year since the bombing of its hospital in Old Fangak, Jonglei State.

On 3 May 2025, MSF says its hospital in Old Fangak was deliberately bombed by South Sudanese government forces despite being clearly marked and its GPS coordinates shared with authorities.

A drone strike later hit the nearby market. Seven people were killed, 27 were injured—including four MSF staff. The hospital has remained closed since the attack.

MSF says the bombing, along with a similar attack on its facility in Lankien in February 2026, has left only two functioning hospitals serving conflict-affected areas of Jonglei State, which has a population of more than one million people.

Both remaining hospitals are operated by MSF. The organisation warns that another attack could collapse the already fragile healthcare system in the region.

“The bombings of Old Fangak and Lankien by South Sudanese government forces cannot go unanswered,” said MSF President Isabelle Defourny. “MSF calls on the South Sudanese authorities to provide clear explanations and make a formal, public commitment to protect hospitals and health workers. Attacks on healthcare are violations of international humanitarian law. They must stop.”

Photo credit|MSF

MSF reports that since January 2025, armed conflict between government forces—the South Sudan People’s Defence Forces (SSPDF) and allied Ugandan forces (UPDF)—and opposition groups including SPLA-IO, NAS, and the Nuer White Army has intensified, with a sharp rise in airstrikes.

According to MSF, 138 airstrikes were recorded in 2025 compared to just two in 2024, with further strikes continuing into 2026, mainly in Jonglei State.

Between January 2025 and April 2026, MSF says it has recorded 12 attacks on its staff and facilities across South Sudan, including bombings, looting of hospitals in Ulang, Pieri, and Akobo, and abductions of staff. All affected facilities have been forced to suspend services, with only limited partial reopening in Pieri.

The organisation says more than 400,000 people lost access to healthcare after the Old Fangak bombing and Ulang looting in 2025, while a further 366,000 were affected in early 2026 following attacks in Lankien, Pieri, and Akobo. MSF warns there is now no surgical capacity in conflict-affected areas of Jonglei State.

MSF also highlighted the collapse of services in Akobo, where a government evacuation order in March 2026 led to widespread looting and destruction of infrastructure.

“Elderly people and people with disabilities were left behind. People were killed, they died from hunger and lack of water,” an MSF staff member said.

MSF is urging all parties to the conflict to immediately stop attacks on health facilities and guarantee their protection, stressing that hospitals must never be considered military targets.

“No military objective can ever justify bombing a hospital, killing health workers, or depriving an entire population of care,” MSF said. “Without accountability, impunity prevails.”

Dozens feared missing after attack on Jonglei’s Miny Island

A national lawmaker from Twic East in Jonglei has said an attack on a remote Miny Island camp, which has no telecommunications network, has reportedly left dozens of people unaccounted for.

Deng Dau said the incident occurred on May 5 on Miny Island in Twic County, west of River Atem describing it as a vulnerable flood-affected area where civilians had been sheltering.

“On the 5th of May, an attack occurred in Miny Island. This is a very remote place with no communication network. The camp had around 50 people who were living there because of flooding and displacement. When the attack happened, people were scattered and the area is surrounded by water, so movement was very limited,” Deng Dau said.

According to him, about 50 people were present at the camp, with only a few survivors able to reach communication coverage days later to report the incident.

“Later, only a few survivors managed to reach a network area and reported that three people were injured and others were killed. But at this moment, more than 40 people are still not accounted for,” he said.

MP Dau said the attack had nothing to do with previous intercommunal conflict.

He alleged that SPLA-IO forces operating along river corridors were responsible for the attack, targeting isolated communities and looting civilian belongings.

“The attackers are believed to be armed groups moving along the river, targeting isolated islands and stealing property,” Deng Dau said.

MP Dau said the situation reflects worsening insecurity along waterways in Jonglei and neighbouring areas, including Greater Pibor.

The lawmaker called for urgent government intervention to prevent further attacks and secure riverine communities.

He urged the national government and the Ministry of Defense and Veterans Affairs to deploy rapid-response forces to stabilize the area and search for missing civilians.

“We are calling on the Minister of Defense to immediately deploy a mobile security team that can access these islands.These communities are cut off, and without intervention, more lives will be lost,” he added

He added that the Twic County authorities had already reported the matter to the state government following the incident.

The lawmaker warned that continued insecurity along the waterways risks further displacement of civilians already affected by flooding and conflict.

 

Support Eye Radio, the first independent radio broadcaster of news, information & entertainment in South Sudan.

Make a monthly or a one off contribution.