22nd May 2026

South Sudan, Kenya move to dismantle trade barriers in high-level Juba summit

The governments of South Sudan and Kenya have concluded a five-day high-level bilateral meeting aimed at resolving critical bottlenecks that have long hindered the movement of goods and suppressed trade between the two neighboring East African nations. Continue reading “South Sudan, Kenya move to dismantle trade barriers in high-level Juba summit”

Remains of Bishop Nathaniel accorded grand reception in Juba

The remains of the late Emeritus Bishop Nathaniel Garang Anyieth have arrived in South Sudan and were received at Juba International Airport on Monday Morning by government officials, church leaders, and members of the community, one month after his passing.

Following the reception, the casket was taken to All Saints Cathedral, where a requiem Mass and special prayers are being held.

The Episcopal Church of South Sudan earlier announced that Bishop Nathaniel passed away on February 24, 2026, in Nairobi, Kenya.

Archbishop Justin Badi Arama confirmed the death in a video message, describing the late bishop as a cornerstone of faith during South Sudan’s long journey to independence.

Bishop Nathaniel rose to prominence in 1984 when he became the first Diocesan Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Bor. His consecration marked the beginning of more than four decades of dedicated service to the people of Jonglei State and the wider South Sudanese community.

During the liberation struggle, he became a symbol of resilience and hope. Despite widespread displacement and hardship, he traveled across the country, spreading the Christian faith and offering spiritual guidance to both civilians and soldiers.

“The late Bishop Nathaniel Garang gave hope and spiritual guidance to the people of South Sudan throughout the liberation struggle,” Archbishop Arama said. “He served his people with courage, humility, and a pastoral heart.”

The church coordinated the repatriation of his remains from Nairobi to South Sudan, with preparations culminating in the ongoing funeral rites.

Bishop Nathaniel Garang Anyieth leaves behind a lasting legacy as one of the most respected spiritual leaders in the history of the Episcopal Church of South Sudan.

South Sudan secures AFCON 2027 group stage spot despite narrow loss to Djibouti

South Sudan has qualified for the AFCON “PAMOJA” 2027 group stage qualification despite a 1–0 loss to Djibouti in the return leg at Juba National Stadium. The “Bright Stars” advanced on aggregate after securing a dominant 4–0 victory in the first leg. Continue reading “South Sudan secures AFCON 2027 group stage spot despite narrow loss to Djibouti”

Two killed, three injured in Wau county cattle-related attack; dozens displaced

At least two people have been killed and three others injured following an attack by armed cattle herders in Brinji area of Wau County, Western Bahr el Ghazal, authorities said.

Wau County Commissioner Michael Gebatin Ukello reported that the violence occurred over the weekend after herders claimed cattle had been stolen. The armed group reportedly attacked villages in Brinji, Natabu, and Ngolinmbo while searching for the missing livestock.

Ukello said the sound of gunfire forced civilians to flee their homes.“The incident took place around Brinji and of course, with the shooting, sound of guns and the information that some people were killed or wounded, forced normal citizens to run away from the area,” he said.

Two people were confirmed dead, while three others sustained injuries and are currently receiving treatment at Wau Teaching Hospital.

The commissioner added that the violence displaced dozens of families, with nearly 100 people—mostly women and children—arriving in Wau. Some are now sheltering at Wau South Payam headquarters.

“Last night, about less than hundred arrived in Wau South Payam. This morning I visited them and talked to them that at the moment there is no question of again people going to the camp,” Ukello said.

“The government is moving hard to let the cattle keepers move away from their area so that they can go to prepare for the rainy season.”

Meanwhile, Paramount Chief Emilio Ulao Baggari called for urgent humanitarian assistance for those displaced and reiterated that Wau County is not part of the Marial Bai cattle migration agreement.

“We in Wau County are not part of the Marial Bai Cattle Migration Agreement and we as farmers, we don’t want cattle to come to our area,” Baggari said.

“Let them go somewhere else. That is our position and it remains clear.”

He added that local communities had previously received assurances that their position would be respected.

“We got assurance from cattle communities that our opinion should be respected. I think they better adhere to this to avoid unnecessary argument,” he said.

The 2019 Marial Bai Agreement was designed to regulate seasonal cattle migration, mainly involving herders from Tonj and Gogrial areas of neighboring Warrap State into parts of Western Bahr el Ghazal.

However, Wau County declined to sign the agreement, citing concerns over some of its provisions. Continue reading “Two killed, three injured in Wau county cattle-related attack; dozens displaced”

Untrained investigators accused of mishandling GBV cases, allowing bail

 A legal adviser at the Gender-Based Violence One Stop Center located at the Juba Teaching Hospital has accused untrained police investigators of altering crime descriptions to allow accused individuals to be released on bail.

Speaking during a stakeholder engagement session on draft legislation, Advocate Christina Yacob alleged that some police investigators are mishandling cases for financial gain.

“We have a big problem with our investigators, you know, they’re selling out cases. That I’m experiencing it every day. And if you don’t have money, really your case will not go ahead,” Yacob said.

She explained that while some special police units are well-trained to handle gender-based violence (GBV) cases, most cases are assigned to untrained personnel. In stations such as Gudele and Munuki, she says untrained investigators often demand money from survivors’ families and fail to pursue justice effectively.

Yacob also highlighted that perpetrators are increasingly being released on bail, with cases sometimes reclassified under sections that create legal loopholes.

“The worst thing is they’re releasing the perpetrators. Section 247, which is related to rape, you can bail out the suspect. But they’re releasing those perpetrators based on bail. They’re changing the sections these days…to create open windows for those perpetrators to escape,” she said.

Yacob further noted the difficulties in prosecuting men in uniform, including police and military personnel, citing procedural hurdles and immunity provisions. She called for urgent reforms to ensure proper investigations and justice for survivors.

“Regarding cases where the perpetrators really are men in uniform, either police, military, or anyone who have power, it is really very hard to continue with it. Because you need to follow many procedures. You need to write to their office, because those people are immune. You cannot just arrest them like this,” Yacob added.

Advocate Yacob urged authorities to prioritize training and engagement for investigators to strengthen accountability and protect survivors of gender-based violence.

Eye Radio could not independently verify these claims, and efforts to reach the authorities for comment were not immediately successful.

Continue reading “Untrained investigators accused of mishandling GBV cases, allowing bail”

VP Nyandeng urges more hands-on-job training for youth in NGOs

The Vice President and chairperson for the Gender and Youth Cluster is calling for expanded on-the-job training opportunities for young people in non-governmental organizations, urging them to shift from seeking jobs to creating jobs for themselves.

According to Vice President Rebecca Nyanding, the government is making progress in addressing rampant youth unemployment by intensifying youth entrepreneurship programs aimed at equipping young people in both public and private institutions with mentorship and skills to pursue their desired careers.

Certificates were awarded at a ceremony that also highlighted the importance of career development, leadership training, and personalized mentorship.

“Give them that opportunity and let them learn on the job. It’s very important because they are from this country and they are the resource of their country because human resource is the primary resource of any nation and nobody can develop them so that you have good resource and you can get a good resource out of them is by training them,” Vice President Nyanding said.

She encouraged the interns not to be job seekers, but job creators. “Even through this intern there are counseling parts because some of them are in stress. Secondly, to you interns, don’t be the job seekers. Be a creator of jobs so that you can employ others. A journey of a thousand miles starts with one step. You already did one step. Continue dreaming. Think properly,” she added.

Abraham Mabior, Human Resource Director at World Vision, said the internship program is designed to impart knowledge to young graduates and promote female leadership. “We launched the Women Leadership Program last week to empower more ladies in this country as part of our Christian organization’s mission,” he said.

Out of the 13 interns, only three were male, reflecting the organization’s focus on increasing opportunities for women. Mabior said the program equips participants with knowledge and skills to compete in the wider job market.

Intern Rebecca Achol expressed gratitude to the Vice President and partner organizations, calling for the continuation of such programs. “Experiences empower us to contribute to our communities. We live as young professionals ready to create impact. I respectfully encourage the continuation of such opportunities for young people, especially fresh graduates, to build stronger career foundations,” she said.

Vice President Nyanding concluded that initiatives like these must also be supported with capital packages and security guarantees to allow youth to start and flourish in their business ventures.

The call comes as the government pushes to reduce youth unemployment and empower young South Sudanese to become active contributors to the country’s development.

Nearly two tons of illegal bushmeat seized in fresh crackdown

 Wildlife protection forces have seized nearly two tons of illegal bushmeat in a fresh crackdown on wildlife trafficking in Jonglei State, with authorities linking the shipment to a vehicle belonging to an organized force.

Director General in the Ministry of Wildlife Conservation and Tourism, Khamis Adieng Ding, said the meat was being transported in vehicles belonging to an organized force and was en route from Jonglei State to Juba on Saturday when they were impounded.

“We are currently completing the necessary procedures and referring the case to the Public Prosecutor’s Office,” he said, adding that legal action will follow.

Ding said delays in handling such cases remain a concern, citing gaps in procedures between initial reporting, prosecution, and court processes.

“There are courts to punish those who violate the law, and we always refer cases to the Public Prosecutor’s Office. However, there seems to be delays in referring cases to the courts,” he said.

“We believe there is negligence in the procedures from the initial filing of the report through its transfer to the Public Prosecutor’s Office and finally to the court.”

The seizure follows a similar incident earlier this week in Juba, where authorities intercepted two vehicles transporting illegal bushmeat from Jonglei.

According to operation commander John Adio, two women suspected of transporting the meat from Bor Town were arrested.

He said protecting wildlife requires coordinated efforts among security agencies, including the police and the army, to strengthen enforcement.

Meanwhile, Assistant Director for Administration and Finance in the ministry, Martin Ring, urged the public to reduce the killing of wild animals, warning that excessive hunting for commercial purposes threatens biodiversity and the country’s natural heritage.

Authorities said individuals found guilty of offenses such as poaching, trafficking, or possession of wildlife products could face up to two years in prison, along with fines.

Under the Wildlife Conservation and Protected Areas Bill 2026, recently passed by parliament and signed by the president, killing or poaching wildlife for any purpose—whether for consumption or trade—is prohibited.

This month, wildlife authorities arrested several suspects and impounded a government vehicle transporting more than 700 kilograms of bushmeat in a separate incident. Continue reading “Nearly two tons of illegal bushmeat seized in fresh crackdown”

VP Hussein: Government must take lead in health funding

Vice President for the Services Cluster Hussein Abdelbagi Akol said the government must take primary responsibility for funding South Sudan’s health sector, as external support declines and pressure on public services grows.

Speaking during a national dialogue on HIV, tuberculosis (TB), and malaria in Juba on Friday, Abdelbagi said government co-financing is both a financial duty and a moral obligation to the country’s citizens.

“The global financing landscape is changing. The donor pool is shrinking, and the competition for resources is increasing,” he said. “While we remain grateful for international solidarity, we fully recognize that the health of our people is the responsibility of the government of South Sudan.”

The one-day meeting, organized by the Ministry of Health in collaboration with the Country Coordinating Mechanism and the South Sudan AIDS Commission, reviewed recent assessments of HIV, TB, and malaria programs. It also sought to align stakeholders on priorities and validate updated National Strategic Plans.

Discussions focused on the Global Fund Grant Cycle 8, a three-year initiative aimed at accelerating the elimination of the three diseases as major public health threats. Participants examined ways to strengthen coordination, mobilize resources, and improve service delivery across the country.

Abdelbagi pointed to persistent challenges facing the sector, including limited infrastructure, shortages of health workers, and a heavy disease burden.

“As the Vice President responsible for the service delivery cluster, I am aware of the challenges we face, including limited infrastructure, gaps in human resources, and the burden of disease,” he said. “Government co-financing is a necessity. It demonstrates ownership, accountability, and sustainability.”

He also praised health workers for their dedication, describing them as the backbone of the country’s health system, and commended communities for their resilience.

“I want to commend the resilience of the people of South Sudan despite adversity. Our communities continue to persevere with dignity and strength,” Abdelbagi said. “My deepest appreciation goes to our health workers across the country who support our people tirelessly.”

The vice president further expressed appreciation to President Salva Kiir Mayardit, linking peace and stability to improvements in public health services.

“We must align our priorities, strengthen coordination among partners, and ensure investments are directed where they are needed most,” he said. “Together, we can build a healthier South Sudan.”

Continue reading “VP Hussein: Government must take lead in health funding”

Greater Pibor hands over abducted girls, appeals for return of others from Jonglei

Authorities in Greater Pibor Administrative Area have handed over two girls who were abducted from Jonglei State and called on Jonglei authorities to help return children and women taken from Greater Pibor. Continue reading “Greater Pibor hands over abducted girls, appeals for return of others from Jonglei”

Support Eye Radio, the first independent radio broadcaster of news, information & entertainment in South Sudan.

Make a monthly or a one off contribution.