21st May 2026

VP Hussein calls for heightened vigilance amid Ebola threat

The Vice President of the Republic of South Sudan, Hussein Abdelbagi Akol, has called on citizens across the country to remain alert and observe strict preventive measures following reported Ebola outbreaks in neighboring Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda.

In a press statement issued in his capacity as Chairperson of the Service Delivery Cluster, the Vice President warned that increased movement of people across borders poses a risk of spreading the deadly disease into South Sudan.

“Given the movement of people across borders, there is a need for heightened vigilance and public cooperation to prevent the spread of this dangerous disease into our communities,” the statement reads.

The Vice President said Ebola is highly infectious and can spread through direct contact with infected persons, bodily fluids, or contaminated materials. He urged citizens to remain calm, informed, and alert.

Although no Ebola case has been confirmed in South Sudan so far, the government advised the public to strictly observe preventive measures in homes, schools, markets, churches, mosques, public transport, airports, and other crowded places.

“Everyone should wash hands regularly with soap and clean water or use alcohol-based sanitizers, avoid unnecessary physical contact such as handshakes, and immediately report any person showing symptoms,” he said.

The symptoms highlighted in the statement include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, bleeding, and sudden weakness.

The Vice President also urged members of the public to avoid contact with dead bodies without proper medical guidance and to cooperate fully with health screening teams deployed at border points and public places.

Meanwhile, the government says it continues to strengthen surveillance, preparedness, and emergency response systems across the country through the Ministry of Health and its partners.

The statement further warned citizens against spreading rumors and misinformation regarding Ebola.

“Citizens are urged not to spread rumors or misinformation but instead to rely on official communication channels for accurate updates and guidance,” the statement added.

The Vice President emphasized that defeating the threat of Ebola requires collective responsibility and discipline from all citizens.

“Together, we can safeguard our families, communities, and the future of our country,” he concluded.

“Nowadays guns don’t kill more than a camera” – Ateny claims

The Minister of Information Ateny Wek Ateny has said that cameras can have a more profound impact than guns, in a rather controversial comparison of the power of modern media over violence. Continue reading ““Nowadays guns don’t kill more than a camera” – Ateny claims”

Roads Minister proposes escrow account for road funding

The Minister of Roads and Bridges, Peter Lam Both, has proposed the establishment of an escrow account for oil revenues to improve transparency following a meeting with President Salva Kiir on Thursday. Continue reading “Roads Minister proposes escrow account for road funding”

South Sudan peace progress considerably stalls – RJMEC

The Reconstituted Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Commission (RJMEC) has warned that South Sudan’s peace implementation has “considerably faltered,” with some gains achieved over the last seven years already being eroded amid growing political and security tensions.

Presenting RJMEC’s first quarterly report of 2026 before the Transitional National Legislative Assembly on Wednesday, interim chairperson Maj. Gen. Aggrey George Owinow said the country faces increasing risks of political fragmentation and renewed violence if urgent corrective measures are not taken.

The report covers the period between January and March 2026 and assesses the implementation status of the revitalized peace agreement across governance, security, humanitarian, economic and constitutional reforms.

RJMEC expressed concern over proposals by the transitional government to amend key provisions of the 2018 peace agreement, including attempts to delink the permanent constitution and population census from the planned December 2026 elections.

According to the report, some proposed amendments could undermine the legal foundation and supremacy of the peace agreement and weaken the oversight role of regional guarantors including IGAD and the African Union.

“Overall, the implementation of the R-ARCSS has considerably faltered, and in some cases, peace dividends achieved over the first seven years of the R-ARCSS have been eroded,” Owinow told lawmakers.

RJMEC said consultations with stakeholders revealed widespread concerns that some signatories to the peace agreement were excluded from discussions on the amendments, while others allegedly did not fully understand their implications.

The monitoring body also reported continued ceasefire violations during the quarter, saying CTSAMVM documented 133 alleged violations involving armed clashes, crimes against civilians, sexual and gender-based violence, forced displacement and occupation of civilian areas.

The highest concentration of incidents was reported in Jonglei State’s Ayod, Pigi, Nyirol and Akobo counties.

RJMEC further noted that several key security mechanisms under the peace deal have remained non-operational since March 2025, while the unification of forces has effectively stalled.

On the humanitarian situation, the report said renewed fighting in parts of the country worsened civilian suffering, particularly in Akobo where clashes led to casualties, looting of markets and aid facilities, and fresh displacement.

Despite the challenges, RJMEC maintained that the revitalized peace agreement remains the “most viable peacebuilding framework” for lasting peace and democratic transition in South Sudan.

The commission called for an immediate cessation of hostilities and an inclusive political dialogue involving all signatories and stakeholders to restore confidence in the peace process.

Health Ministry says country on high alert over Ebola threat from Uganda, DRC

The Ministry of Health says the country remains on high alert following the confirmation of Ebola Virus Disease outbreaks in parts of the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda. Continue reading “Health Ministry says country on high alert over Ebola threat from Uganda, DRC”

13 killed, 14 injured in cattle raids in Tonj North and South

Authorities in Warrap State say 13 people have been killed and 14 others wounded in renewed intercommunal violence in Tonj South and Tonj North counties between Tuesday and Wednesday this week. Continue reading “13 killed, 14 injured in cattle raids in Tonj North and South”

Speaker, Ethiopian ambassador discuss strengthening bilateral cooperation

The Speaker of Parliament Joseph Ngere Paciko and the Ethiopian Ambassador to South Sudan Delil Kedir Bushra have discussed ways of strengthening bilateral cooperation between the two countries. Continue reading “Speaker, Ethiopian ambassador discuss strengthening bilateral cooperation”

Govt to establish ICT authority to boost digital services and data protection

The Minister of Information, Ateny Wek Ateny, says the government is planning to establish an Information and Communication Technology Authority (ICT Authority) to strengthen the country’s digital and communication sector. Continue reading “Govt to establish ICT authority to boost digital services and data protection”

Govt, IMF discuss new Value-Added Tax law to increase revenue

The Government and the International Monetary Fund have discussed draft legislation on Value Added Tax, commonly known as VAT, and ways to improve sales tax performance in South Sudan. Continue reading “Govt, IMF discuss new Value-Added Tax law to increase revenue”

Support Eye Radio, the first independent radio broadcaster of news, information & entertainment in South Sudan.

Make a monthly or a one off contribution.