18th August 2026

Security Improves in Akobo as Residents Return Home

Author: | Published: April 3, 2026

Governor Dr Riek Gai Kok was received by a multitude upon his arrival in Akobo|Courtesy

Authorities in Jonglei State have reported a significant improvement in the security situation in Akobo, enabling displaced residents to return to their homes following recent unrest.

The State Minister of Information, Nyamar Lony Thichot Ngundeng, told Eye Radio on Friday morning that humanitarian partners have begun resuming operations in the area to support communities affected by the violence.

According to the government spokesperson, local markets in Akobo have reopened, signaling a gradual return to normal life. The town’s hospital, which was previously vandalized and looted during the unrest, is currently undergoing assessment to ensure it can fully resume operations.

Minister Ngundeng also noted that the state governor has been touring Akobo to monitor the situation firsthand. Plans are underway for state officials to visit other counties to evaluate conditions and ensure the safety of residents returning to their homes.

She emphasized that the improved security situation is playing a crucial role in restoring normalcy and advancing recovery efforts in the area.

“The civilians have returned, as seen on social media. Our partners, the NGOs, have also started their work and are on the ground in Akobo,” Ngundeng said. “The market is open, and the governor has been touring the town, including the hospital, which has now been assessed to ensure it can fully resume operations. The security situation in Akobo today is safe.”

Support Eye Radio, the first independent radio broadcaster of news, information & entertainment in South Sudan.

Make a monthly or a one off contribution.