Maj. Gen. Lul Ruai Koang - SSPDF spokesperson - COURTESY
The SSPDF has regained control over Gumuruk County headquarters in the Greater Pibor Administrative Area, an army spokesperson has said.
Armed youth attacked the area last week, leaving more than 50 people dead and displacing thousands of civilians.
Maj. Gen. Lul Ruai, the SSPDF Spokesperson said government forces clashed with the armed group – known as the white army – and took control of Gumuruk County on Wednesday evening, 28th December 2022.
“Our forces regained control over Gumuruk. They entered Gumuruk yesterday [Wednesday 28th December 2022] at 5 in the evening,” said Gen. Lul.
“They [SSPDF] have successfully also resisted the white army in their effort to capture LIkuangoli. I was told that all of them the attackers have assembled south of Gumuruk.”
However, the Minister of Information in the Greater Pibor Administrative Area, Abraham Kelang said the armed youth are heading to another Payam.
“Jonglei armed youth have attacked us in Gumuruk, but they still outside the headquarters of Gumuruk, so, they are in Manya-bol Payam,” Kelany said.
Support Eye Radio, the first independent radio broadcaster of news, information & entertainment in South Sudan.
Make a monthly or a one off contribution.
Copyright 2026. All rights reserved. Eye Radio is a product of Eye Media Limited.