23rd February 2024
Make a Donation

NLA to discuss decision to deploy foreign force

Author : | Published: Monday, August 15, 2016

The National Legislative Assembly

The government says it will refer the resolution of the UN Security Council on the deployment of 4,000 protection force to South Sudan to the parliament for discussions and consideration.

Last Friday, the United Nations Security Council passed a resolution authorizing the deployment of 4,000 strong regional force to South Sudan for protection of UN sites, the airport, other installations and civilians.

The Minister of Information, Michael Makuei, spoke to the media after a lengthy meeting of the cabinet of the Transitional Government of National Unity in Juba on Sunday.

He said the Friday’s resolution has some “pros and cons”, and the decision on it should be discussed by both the executive and the legislature.

“It’s clear that this document has some ‘pros and cons’ and as such, it is decided that this process be taken to the parliament so that it becomes public and a clear stand and decision taken by the whole government of the Republic of South Sudan,” Mr Makuei stated.

The Security Council’s decision authorizing the deployment of 4,000 strong regional force to Juba came as a result of the eruption of renewed fighting in the national capital last month.

Support Eye Radio, the first independent radio broadcaster of news, information & entertainment in South Sudan.

Make a monthly or a one off contribution.

error: Alert: Content is protected !!