You are here: Home | National News | News | UNSC renews sanctions against peace obstructors
The UN Security Council has renewed sanctions on those it says are blocking peace in South Sudan.
The travel bans and asset freezes were first imposed on officials on both sides of the conflict last year, after repeated ceasefire violations.
On the side of the government were General Marial Chaunuong, Gen Jok Riak, and Gen Santino Deng Wol.
For the SPLM in Opposition, the sanctions were imposed on General Peter Gatdet, General James Koang Chuol and General Gatwech Dual.
At the time of the sanctions, some of them said they had no assets outside the country and had no plan to travel abroad.
On Thursday, the 15 member council extended the sanctions regime until the 1st of June, saying the situation in South Sudan poses a continuing threat to regional peace and security.
The UN Security Council also unanimously adopted a new resolution to extend to the 1st of July the mandate of the Panel of Experts overseeing the sanctions, with the intention of reviewing it.
In a separate action, the Council issued a Presidential Statement read out by Ambassador Liu Jieyi of China, welcoming the progress made in the peace process.
They included implementation of the Juba security arrangements and the return of some members of the SPLA-In Opposition to the capital.
The Council however expressed regrets that some recommendations it made previous have not been fully implemented.
It strongly urged all parties to complete them and to implement fully the Agreement on the Resolution of the Conflict in the Republic of South Sudan.
Published 10 mins ago
Published 44 mins ago
Published 1 hour ago
Published 2 hours ago
Published 3 hours ago
Published 6 hours ago
Support Eye Radio, the first independent radio broadcaster of news, information & entertainment in South Sudan.
Make a monthly or a one off contribution.
Copyright 2023. All rights reserved. Eye Radio is a product of Eye Media Limited.