8th February 2023
Make a Donation

UK urges warring parties to narrow differences

Author : Dominic Santo | Published: Friday, June 12, 2015

The UK ambassador to South Sudan has urged the warring parties to narrow their differences and reach a peace agreement.

Ambassador Tim Morris made the statement after IGAD mediators made a new proposal for power sharing during the transitional period.
The document gives 53% to the government while the SPLM in Opposition, the former political detainees and other political parties will share the remaining 47%.
Ambassador Tim says the UK will maintain political support to the peace process.
“This is a country of enormous importance to us,” Amb Morris said.
“The key moment we all hope and pray we will reach is one where the leaders of South Sudan feel able to come to a peace agreement.
“There are prepositions on the table and we must feel optimistic that the distance between the various parties is closed.”
The parties will discuss the proposal at a summit in South Africa this month.

Support Eye Radio, the first independent radio broadcaster of news, information & entertainment in South Sudan.

Make a monthly or a one off contribution.