27th February 2024
Make a Donation

“Law abiding” Justice Chan was poorly approached at airport – Ateny

Author: Garang Abraham | Published: Monday, March 23, 2020

Chief Justice Chan Reec Madut speaks at a function | File photo

The Presidential Press Secretary has attributed to the ‘poor approach’ the standoff between coronavirus screening team and bodyguards of Chief Justice at the Juba International Airport recently.

On Thursday last week, chaos erupted at Juba International Airport when Justice Chan Reec, who upon arrival from Dubai, refused to be screened for Covid-19.

According to his daughter, the screening team called security on Justice Chan. They held him at gunpoint and whisked away.

He was reportedly later released on the orders of President Salva Kiir.

The incident generated debate on social media platforms, with many South Sudanese asking why senior government officials defy Presidential orders.

Asked on Monday morning by Eye Radio why the President contradicted himself and ordered for the release of Chief Justice, Ateny Wek Ateny stressed that the president intervened to quell the tension.

The Presidential Press Secretary described Chief Justice Chan Reec as a “law-abiding citizen”, citing that the screening team might have approached poorly.

“Chief Justice is one of the law-abiding citizens, maybe the approach by the screening team at the airport might not have been proper,” Ateny said on Monday.

On 16 March, President Kiir asked all senior government officials to abide by the screening and quarantine measures issued by the Ministry of Health at various entry points to avoid importation of coronavirus.

In some countries, governments have already put down punitive measures against those who may deliberately ignore coronavirus preventive measures.

In neighboring Kenya, Kilifi County Deputy Governor Gideon Saburi has been arrested and put on forced 14-day isolation for defying quarantine orders.

This came after the leader refused to self-quarantine after a trip to Germany on March 1.

He went to attend staff and Cabinet meeting without putting himself under a 14-day quarantine, Daily Nation reports.

Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe said Saburi will be prosecuted after completing the 14-day forced quarantine after testing positive for coronavirus.

Support Eye Radio, the first independent radio broadcaster of news, information & entertainment in South Sudan.

Make a monthly or a one off contribution.

error: Alert: Content is protected !!