24th September 2023
Make a Donation

Ki-Moon ‘deeply concerned’ about Nasir attacks

Author : | Published: Monday, July 21, 2014

The Secretary-General of the United Nations says he is ‘deeply┬áconcerned’ by the renewed fighting in Nasir town of Upper Nile State.

Fighting broke out in Nasir yesterday morning between the government forces and the SPLA-In Opposition forces.

Ban Ki-moon has also called on the warring parties in South Sudan to stop the violence immediately.

This is the first attack since President Salva Kiir and his former deputy Dr. Riek Machar signed a ceasefire Agreement in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa last month.

Mr. Ban Ki-moon urged the government and the SPLM in Opposition to resume political negotiations for a peaceful resolution to end the conflict in South Sudan.

The Secretary-General called on Dr. Machar direct his forces to immediately stop all offensive operations on Nasir and other areas in the country.

Mr. Ban also urged the Government of South Sudan to stop launching counter-offensive operations. He reminded them of their obligations under international humanitarian law.

He also warned the parties to the conflict of the consequences should any innocent civilian or United Nations peacekeepers come under harm from their forces.

Ban Ki-moon called on both parties to stop the violence immediately, reconvene political negotiations and demonstrate the political, which he says is necessary to find a peaceful resolution to the conflict.

Support Eye Radio, the first independent radio broadcaster of news, information & entertainment in South Sudan.

Make a monthly or a one off contribution.

error: Alert: Content is protected !!