22nd August 2026

Journalists to sign “Conduct Expectations Pledge” before covering Kiir – new guidelines

Author: James Atem Kuir | Published: August 21, 2026

President Salva Kiir addressing journalists during an official media conference. – photo credit: AFP

The Press Office of President Salva Kiir has introduced new guidelines, including what it calls a Professionalism and Conduct Expectations Pledge, which journalists may be required to sign before covering presidential events.

The Presidential Press Unit says the guidelines are intended to ensure that media personnel covering presidential engagements follow professional standards and security procedures.

Under the new requirements, journalists must comply with approved camera positions and instructions issued by the Presidential Press Unit.

Unauthorized filming, live streaming, mobile phone recording and access to restricted areas are prohibited.

The Press Unit says media personnel attending official engagements may be required to complete the Professionalism and Conduct Expectations Pledge before access is granted.

It adds that signed forms and personal accreditation records will be kept for internal official use only.

The new guidelines also set out accreditation requirements and conduct procedures for journalists and media houses covering activities involving President Salva Kiir and other official state functions.

The move comes as journalists and media organizations continue to raise concerns over what they describe as severe restrictions, safety threats and limited access while covering the President.

Some journalists have also accused the Office of the President of marginalizing local media by granting exclusive interviews to foreign reporters while overlooking interview requests from domestic media outlets.

However, Arek Aldou Ajou, Press Secretary in the Office of the President, has previously rejected claims that the Presidency is overlooking interview requests from South Sudanese journalists.

Ms. Ajou said there was still no effective working relationship between the Presidency and the national media.

Others complain that access to presidential events has been restricted, while journalists face harsh reactions over technical or broadcast errors during coverage.

No professional media body or journalists’ association has so far publicly reacted to the latest guidelines issued by the Office of the President.

Support Eye Radio, the first independent radio broadcaster of news, information & entertainment in South Sudan.

Make a monthly or a one off contribution.