22nd March 2023
Make a Donation

Joint Security welcomes unification of the command structure

Author: Obaj Okuj | Published: Friday, April 8, 2022

Top Army Generals, Acting Chief of General Staff SPLA-IO, Lt. Gen Gabriel Duop Lam [left], Lt. Gen Thoi Chany Reat, Deputy CDF - SSFDF [center], and Lt. Gen. Julius Tabule Daniel of SSOA at Bilpam, Friday, April 8, 2022 - Credit | Awan Moses/Eye Radio |

The Joint Security Mechanisms have welcomed the decision of the Presidency to unify the command structure of the organized forces.

The top military generals include, the SSPDF-CDF, 1st Lt. Gen. Santino Deng Wol, SPLA-IO, Acting Chief of General Staff , Lt. Gen Gabriel Duop Lam and Lt. Gen Julius Tabule Daniel of SSOA.

The mechanisms include National Transitional Committee, Joint Defense Board and Reconstituted joint monitoring and verification commission among others.

On Sunday, the peace parties signed a deal that ended a stalemate over the command structure of the unified forces.

According to the deal, the power sharing in the unified army gives the incumbent government under SPLM-IG 60% and the other two armed groups 40%.

This will be exercised in the context of six security sector arrangements like the army, police, internal security, external security, Wildlife and Prison Service.

In a joint press briefing at the Army General Headquarters in Bilpham today the SSPDF CDF, acting Chief of Genera Staff SPLA-IO and a representative from SSOA welcomed the unification of the command.

Lt. Gen. Thoi Chany who readout the joint press statement welcomed the efforts by the presidency to unify the command structure.

“On behalf of the CDF who also served as the chairperson of the JDB, I would like to inform the general public that we welcome the decision of the Presidency on the unification of the command across the security institutions,” Gen. Thoi told a press conference at Bilpam on Friday.

“As the deputy of the CDF of SSPDF, I would like to say that I personally welcomed the decision of the Presidency.

“I am also pleased to inform you that all my colleagues at the SSPDF headquarters have also welcomed the decision of the Presidency.”

The parties’ top military generals further called on the leadership to expedite the process of graduating the unified forces.

They also directed all the various forces to abide by the cessation of hostilities agreement.

“We urge the mechanism to speed up the process of the graduation of the forces and similarly spare no efforts in preparing for phase two of the necessary unified forces,” Gen Thoi said.

“On behalf of the CDF, and commanders of the SSPDF. We direct all forces to cease hostilities and uphold the cessations of the hostilities agreement.”

Support Eye Radio, the first independent radio broadcaster of news, information & entertainment in South Sudan.

Make a monthly or a one off contribution.

error: Alert: Content is protected !!