20th May 2024
Make a Donation

No new date set for peace talks

Author : | Published: Tuesday, June 16, 2015

The IGAD has not set a new date for the peace talks after a summit of African heads of state governments in Pretoria, South Sudanese ambassador to South Africa has said.

Mr Philip Jada says ambassadors of African missions based in Addis Ababa discussed the crisis in South Sudan at the sidelines of the summit. This was followed by a ministerial retreat to share what the ambassadors had discussed.

The African Union Peace and Security Council then met to hear the progress of the peace process. The summit ended today.

Mr Jada told Eye Radio that both sides will consult before they are invited for the next round of talks.

“There has not been any clear date mentioned by the chief mediator, Ambassador Seyoum Mesfin,” Mr Jada said, “but according to his briefing to the ministers of foreign affairs of different African countries that were present, hi briefing centered on how they had a consultative meeting with the government of South Sudan and the rebels.”

At the sidelines of the summit, the warring parties were expected to discuss a new IGAD proposal on power sharing during the transitional period.

According to the proposal, the government will get 53 percent. The SPLM in Opposition, the former political detainees and other political parties will share the remaining 47 percent.

It also proposes that governors for the three states of the Upper Nile region will be from the SPLM in Opposition. Both sides have rejected the proposal.

Support Eye Radio, the first independent radio broadcaster of news, information & entertainment in South Sudan.

Make a monthly or a one off contribution.

error: Alert: Content is protected !!