Eye Radio and MTN will this Saturday award 19 winners from the South Sudan Music industry in the MTN/Eye Radio Music Awards.
The event will begin at 1pm, with red carpet interviews, photo-shoot for the artists and guests. The award ceremony begins at 2pm and will all be broadcast live on Eye Radio and online (www.eyeradio.org)
For the last 3 months, the public has been voting for their favorite musicians among over 70 nominees that were chosen based on the Eye Radio’s Top10 Music Program – that plays the 10 listener’s favorite songs of the week.
Music lovers voted via a special MTN line and on Eye Radio Facebook page – Top10 Eye Radio MC.
Voting closed last week, and now the committee for the awards is organizing to award and celebrate 19 winners, which include the Best Comedian of the Year.
There are 18 categories for the artistes in this year’s awards. One special category of the Best Comedian of the Year was also included this time round to appreciate the growing comedy industry in the country.
Eye Media, a South Sudanese organization managing Eye Radio, first funded the organization of the first Eye Radio Music Awards in 2014. Only 6 categories were awarded.
The first radio music award was initiated to acknowledge and appreciate musicians who topped the charts on Eye Radio through 2014.
As is the case this year, the artistes were selected based on the dominance their songs have had on the Sunday’s Top10 Music Countdown show, which is driven by votes from Eye Radio listeners from abroad and across the country.
Winners of 2014 Eye Radio Music Award [From L-to-R Emma47, Silver X, Neetah Baby, Jay Family, Mr. Lengs]
Top10 marks 6 years since becoming the first program in the country to allocate 3 solid hours to non-stop South Sudanese music.
The 2014 awards was a pilot. Six artists from six categories were awarded with well-designed and framed certificates.
This year, the nominees were derived from the list of 10 best songs of the week played on the Top 10 radio program.
This songs were voted for by fans through Song Request show and through the facebook votes on ‘Top10 Eye Radio MC’ page.
Listeners of the show voted using social media, radio call-in and text messages every week to draw up the list of their favorite weekly songs on Eye Radio. Up to 200 (average) SMS, 156 (average) calls and several Facebook posts were collected every Sunday on the show.
The second annual Eye Radio Music awards which is organized this year in partnership with MTN, a giant telecommunication company operating in South Sudan.
Series of concerts were organized at Club Vegas in Juba to allow the artists market their voting codes. It also allowed the fans to see their favorite nominees on stage.
The awards will take place on the 30th April, 2016 at Nyakuron Cultural Center in Juba.
Winners from each category will walk away with a beautifully accolade, designed and imported all the way from South Africa.
The event will be live on Eye Radio.
Below are the categories and nominees that will be awarded:
- Best Traditional Song [Kuburi Luri by BBG Musica, Bari ko Pojulu by McLomuex, Drampari Mama by Shaki Khamis]
- Best Traditional Artiste [Franco Korok, BBG Musica, Shaki Khamis]
- Best Hip-Hop Artiste [L.U.A.L, Asif, TY, 6 Foot]
- Best Dancehall Artiste [Silver X, Nesty Beibe, Aboy, Rover D, Rapadox]
- Best RnB Artiste [Mr. Elly, Trisha C, D-Love, O Kays]
- Best Group of the Year [Heavens Dove Crew, Hardlife Avenue, Jay Family, Coozos Clan, MB Law & Rhapsody, Rover D & Dr. Kiss, Big Boys Entertainment]
- Best Reggae Artiste [Case Blanco, Dynamq]
- Overall Hit Song [Arabi Mafi by Aboy, Ana Bi Ruwa Wen by WJ, African Woman/Konyo-Malekia by McLumoex, Bamba Ta Deng by Silver X, Yaude by Hardlife Avenue]
- Best Afrobeat Artiste [Rasta Jimmy, AKJ, MT7, Cool B, Maya Nimaya]
- Collaboration Song [Yaude by Hardlife Avenue, Lahadi Miten by Case Blanco,L.U.A.L & Saab J, Salama by WJ & Goodlyfe, East African Lover by Silver X & Renee, Sambala by Rhapsody & MBlaw & Goodlyfe]
- Overall Male Artiste [Silver X, McLumoex, WJ, Case Blanco, Mr. Lengs]
- Overall Female Artiste [Neetah Baby, Trisha C, Hallamo De Pari]
- Great Stage Performer [Silver X, Maya Nimaya, Neetah Baby, Case Blanco, Hardlife Avenue, Jay Family, Mr. Lengs]
- Best Artiste Manager [Stephen Lubang, Danny Boyd, Winnie Godi, Promota Sam, Isaac Ayii, Awaky Lizzy, Data Gordon]
- Best Record Label [Asylum Records, Corner Stone, Stars Avenue, Sound Wizards, City Avenue]
- Best Show Organizer [Rockstar Records & Promotions, Juba Promoters, Skyline Promotions]
- Promoter Most Promising Male Artiste [Yogo Man, Adaway, Slate Nation, Uncle TJ, Jack Pro, Raan Mark –for RMG]
- Most Promising Female Artiste [Mirabella, QD, Nyibol Grace, Tutu Baibe, Princess Golda]
- Best Comedian [Dilly Dollas, VIP, Lotole, Galaxy Smokey, Wokil, Sirandula, Shanty Man]